Can I make this bread pudding in advance? (need answer fast!)

My wife and I are having a dinner party tonight and we are going to use this recipe for Nigella Lawson’s Caramel Croissant pudding. We’ve made it a few times just for the two of us and it is awesome. But for the timing tonight, I’d like to get them in the oven just as we’re sitting down to eat. I’m planning to triple the recipe and do individual ramekins.

Can I make the custard in advance and wait to pour it over the bread until just before baking? Should I just go ahead and pour it over the bread and let it soak for an hour or so while I finish preparing the main course? I don’t want it to get soggy.

Hm, I work with an old family recipe for bread pudding, and you let the custard soak in for several hours before baking, but then again it was designed to use up stale bread…YMMV but I don’t see why not let yours soak, though you can premake the custard and leave it in the fridge until you need to pop the dish into the oven. Takes what, 2 minutes to pour it in?

Yeah, that’s what I was thinking, I just wasn’t sure with the caramel custard if it would congeal if I left it in the fridge for too long.

Also this recipe only calls for letting it soak 10min if the bread is really stale. Since the croissants are so buttery and flaky, it already comes out pretty soft and doesn’t need to soak long.