Can I Make % Year Old Scotch into 50 Year Old Scotch?

(In a few months)? I have been hankering for some BALLENTINE’S 50-YEAR OLD scotch, but I can’t afford the $355.00/bottle price tag. However, I wonderif I have a solution:
I know that the ageing of fine scotch whiskey is a complex process…it probably involves a lot of complex chemical reactions. Chemical reactions speed up at higher temperatures, so if I were to age my scotch at an elevated temperature (say 150 C), instead of the normal cellar temperature of perhaps50 C, then I should be able to compress many years of ageing into a few hours.
Is this possible? or would I ruin the deicate flavors by subjecting my whiskey to a high-temperature storage?
Has anybody tried this?
And,is Ballentines 50_year Old worth the lofty price?

Don’t even think about it. Aging is not simply a matter of watching the clock tick, it’s the process of storing the spirit for a long time in specially selected oak barrels. The whisky takes flavours (and colour) from the barrels themselves.

Storing it in its bottle does not contribute to the aging process at all and storing it at high temperature will just cause the spirit to evaporate. I think you’ll agree that would be a terrible waste.

I’ll assume you meant your cellar’s tempeature is 50F, btw – 50C would be a pretty good temperature for a sauna as it is.

Naah… my understanding is that whisky, unlike wine, does not mature any further once it’s been bottled. Maturation of scotch is a complex process (often involving old bourbon barrels sourced from the USA). Once it’s in glass, it’s pretty much frozen in time. I think subjecting it to weird temperatures is probably only asking for trouble.

As for the 50 year old Ballantines… that’s a matter of opinion. I don’t think I’ll be buying a bottle of it any time soon, but I’d sure as hell like to try a glass or two.

You can’t age bottled normal strength whiskey.
Whiskey only ages when sealed in wooden barels at cask strength (about 110 proof, from memory). It is possible to buy barels from a distillary and store them yourself, but there is no way to speed up the aging process. It should also be known that whiskey isn’t strictly the older the better! each whiskey will have an optimum bottling age, and though older than the standard bottles from any distillary it is not that huge an age. For example The Macallan which is probably the best widely available scotch has an optimum age of fifty years, and that is about the highest optimum age for any whisky. The optimum age for Talisker (my favourite) is only about 20 years. A whisky ageing in a barel will slowly lose alcohol to the surrounding air, at the optimum age it will be somewhere about 100 proof, it can remain in the barel until it reaches normal bottle strength (85 proof I think) after which if it is aged any more it will go bad. Beware of ‘cask strength’ whiskeys that are sold at normal bottle proof, these will have extreme age, a high price tag, but will be whiskey that has gone past its best and was rapidly heading towards going off.

That’s for sure! Before I quit drinking, I thought Johnny Walker Red Label (5 or 7 years old, can’t remember) was much better than Johnny Walker Black Label (12 years).

How old is MacNaughton’s? I always liked that, too.

Mmm…whiskey.