Can I use Dust-off to preserve opened wine bottles?

I was just recommending that a family member get a can of some wine-saving blanket gas to preserve their unfinished bottles of wine. But it got me thinking… couldn’t one just use Dust-Off spray, instead? (For those who don’t know, it’s a can of compressed gas—fluoroethanes—that you can spray on things to blow the dust off. Handy for computer parts, slides and photo negatives, machinery, etc.)

Now, here are the knowns:

• normal wine saver products employ a mix of nitogen, argon, and CO2, which are chemically inert
  • gas dusters employ fluoroethanes
  • fluoroethanes are notorious for their abuse by “huffers”
  • fluoroethanes are heavier than air, and so would, in theory, sit just on top of the wine and keep oxygen away.

Unknowns:

• are the fluoroethanes chemically inert?
  • will they adversely impact the wine?
  • will they disperse safely once the wine is reopened and poured out? (will they dissolve in the wine?)
  • is the dust-off canister an appropriate delivery mechanism? (Is it too forceful, or something?)
    In short, is there any danger in using dust-off in this manner, and is there any benefit in terms of wine preservation?

AFAIK, most “wine gas” is argon. It’s inert and won’t react with the wine.

Dusting spray is not inert, and will gradually mix in with whatever’s in the container. I’ve seen people try to use it for preserving the shelf life of stuff like varnish, and as the gas is absorbed by the varnish, the sides of the can got sucked in. I wouldn’t expect a wine bottle to collapse, but I do know that the gas is not suitable for human consumption.

If the stuff sold at wine shops is too spendy, look for Bloxygen at woodworking stores, where it might be cheaper. Same stuff, but aimed at a different market.

Ah! Field tests. Good to know.

Nah, I just know my relative didn’t have any winesaver at home, but prob. DID have dust-off. More of a “don’t make a special trip” thing than an expense thing.

Thanks for the input.