Can people still become Saints?

Where did you see reference to the '80s? The NPR article says he was born in 1991.

I don’t know where I got that either. Never mind that part, please.

He died in 2006, so the page probably isn’t around anymore.

If you think that’s wild, check out what the Church did with Mary Magdalene’s (alleged) skull.

Also, in regard to the “healing miracles” that are credited to him: the way those typically work in the Catholic Church is that there is someone who is ill, and that person (and/or others, on that person’s behalf) prays that the deceased potential saint might “intercede” with God to provide healing to the person.

The Church has people who investigate claims of such miracles, and document them as part of the process of considering a candidate for canonization.

The NPR article contains a link to information about one of Acutis’s miracles – essentially, a boy who had been born with a defective pancreas prayed to Acutis for intercession, and his condition rapidly improved after this.

OMG! That could be a new Doctor Who baddie!

I dunno… A website that’s so great that it makes its creator worthy of canonization, you’d think someone would have taken over curating it, or at least mirrored it.

I probably should’ve Googled it first, 'cause it was the first hit when I searched for “St Carlo website”.

http://www.miracolieucaristici.org/en/Liste/list.html

I was thinking WH40K myself. “Here rests in honored glory the blessed remains of an Adeptus Astartes who personally lasted seventeen seconds in single combat against the Legions of Chaos”.

The origin story of Santa Claus (Saint Nikolas) was that of St.Nicholas of Myra (now in Turkey), an early Christian bishop during the Roman era. Many miracles were attributed to him, and a folklore built up around him, particularly his penchant for secret gift-giving. There’s no question he existed.

The right jolly old elf in a flying sleigh was invented in the 19th century.

Here’s St. Carlo’s reliquary, BTW. Not quite as fancy as Ms. Magdalene’s.

He looks better than Lenin, at least.

His heart is apparently stored separately in a more ornate container.

And Lenin wasn’t dug up 12 years later then put on display. That body isn’t make-up. That body is made-up.

Not after 10 years underground.

As alluded to in the above article, Pope John XXIII’s body was dug up 50 years later and is in fairly good shape due to its being embalmed and interred in an airtight coffin.

Depending on the circumstances and conditions of burial, it’s not impossible for the body to remain intact for a surprisingly long time. If there was already thought that Carlo might have been a candidate for beatification, they might have gone ahead and taken some extra steps at the time to keep the body intact.

Mystical incorruptibility is nonsense, but science can be pretty neat sometimes.

For what it’s worth, 13 people have been canonized as saints by the Roman Catholic Church during the past three years (twelve of the thirteen in 2022). Of those thirteen, eight lived during the 20th Century.

For whatever reason, they tend to do canonizations in batches. It makes the administrative overhead easier, maybe? Or maybe the Pope just likes organizing his workload that way: “This month I’m going to focus on canonizations”.

I’m going to guess that it makes for a big, ornate, celebratory ceremony. Most of the decisions on canonization were likely made months prior (if not longer).

A distant cousin-in-law of mine is up for canonization:
Sainthood cause for paralyzed priest officially gets under way – Catholic Philly
Father Bill Atkinson canonization cause completes first phase, moves onto Rome | Catholic News Agency