Can person IQ be improved? And why is science not looking into it?

I read about these different apps you can get for the iPad and iPhone to improve one IQ and different exercises on the internet to improve one IQ. but I’m wondering can person IQ really be improved?

Some one was saying person IQ is locked and can only be increase or decrease by 4 to 6 points but that is it.

In the past years there seems to be very little science into how to increased one IQ.

Well despite anyone with an IQ of 80 and down will not be able to go to college or university. And anyone with IQ of 80 to 99 will struggle in college and university .And people with IQ above 100 will do better in college and university.

And poverty and education is tied to IQ. I’m wondering is there any way to increase one IQ?

And why is science not looking into more ways to increase one IQ?

For the most part, IQ tests measure how well you do on IQ tests.

Science has looked into this, its called education. People who pursue education can often improve their standing in society by learning how to apply the rules that society values. Which somewhat correlates with a higher IQ.

Frankly, I wouldn’t bother.

Clearly this effect does not work for all Flynns.

Try reading this thread from ~3 months ago:

I was asking ways to increase one IQ has many people could be taken out poverty and sent to college to get good paying job.

But people with average to below normal IQ will struggle in school and people with low IQ will not even make it a month in school before dropping out or being kicked out of the program.

Setting aside people who have developmental disabilities or profound learning disabilities, and who are going to struggle at higher education no matter what you do – @Si_Amigo is right, the answer is improving education for children who are growing up in poverty.

Many (and probably most) areas which have high poverty levels have weak educational systems. Kids who attend those schools don’t have the in-school resources to help them learn. And, many of them are also suffering from food insecurity – it’s harder to do well in school when you’re hungry, or when your growing brain isn’t getting the nutrition it needs. If those children’s parents also did poorly in school (for the above reasons), they aren’t going to be well-equipped to help their kids with their homework. And, finally, if the area where you live also has a high crime rate, that creates stress which also makes it hard to achieve in school (or anything else).

It’s not a situation which lends itself to an easy solution, and certainly not with an app which claims to improve your IQ. Those apps might – and I stress might – help someone keep their brain engaged and active, and help people (particularly older people) slow down cognitive decline, in the same way that physical activity can help you slow down your physical decline with age. But, that isn’t the same as “raising your IQ.”

Good education habits are best learned while very young. Waiting until college level courses to learn them is an uphill battle.

Why are you refusing to accept “no” as the answer?

People have studied IQ for more than a century. Nothing has been shown to increase innate IQ, although, conversely, providing better education, resources, parental care, and opportunity has shown that people can succeed without sky-high IQs.

Not to mention that millions of jobs don’t require any special IQ. An innate talent, whether for music, sports, mechanical aptitude, or salesmanship, can lead to lifetime success.

Boosting IQ on its own is the wrong path. Changing society to fit peoples’ needs is far more important, if far more difficult and much slower.

Everybody struggles in school when there are unreasonable expectations. That can be fixed without increasing IQ.

However, some people do not have the capacity to reach high levels of skill and understanding in many areas. They can still do well in school and on the job, and their ability to earn a living that keeps them out of poverty is more of a socio-economic issue than one of intelligence. Obviously at the extreme some people are so mentally limited that is not really possible for them to achieve much at all, just as some people may be too physically limited to do so either.

I don’t know what you mean by normally socio-economic issue than one of intelligence is why they are in poverty.

Most of the US is going from manufacturing to a high skilled job market. And this is going to get worse every year.

From what I understand people with higher IQ will learn faster in school and subjects can come in easy to understand.

Some subjects like physics and engineering some people seem to just understand it really easy and other people really struggle with it. And have to read it over and over many times.

What we mean is that it is far, far more difficult for someone who grows up in poverty to achieve and succeed (in school, and in life). Poverty is a cycle, which is exceptionally difficult to break out of for most people – when you are poor, so many things in life and culture are stacked against you, and even if you are very intelligent and motivated, there’s still a high likelihood that you won’t be able to escape poverty.

The reason why it’s difficult to break out of poverty is not because poor people are stupid or have low IQs.

If I may suggest some reading on the topic, here is a place to start:

Can IQ be improved? Well, there is this mouse named Algernon, who could be used as a test subject.

I teach plenty of people of average or below average intelligence. Most US school at all levels is directed toward the average.

You can learn how to use the skills (fluid knowledge) and information (crystallized knowledge) that an IQ test measures, and practice improves your speed. This will improve your performance on activities similar to the sections of the test that correspond to them.

If you want to think long-range, make sure that pregnant women have an adequate amount of iodine during fetal brain formation. It’s not an issue in coastal regions, but for landlocked populations that don’t eat seafood or ionized salt, one relatively small dose of iodine at the right time can improve the child’s IQ by 1 standard deviation.

Let’s send him flowers.

First, you seem to be confusing IQ and intelligence. Consider this: if you give someone the answers to an IQ test, their IQ will be measured as very high - which says nothing about innate intelligence, whatever that means.

There appears to be a correlation between books in the home and educational achievement. Now I doubt that dumping some books from a thrift store is going to do much, but I do believe love of books can be better for a kid than wealth or even education level.
I’m fairly sure there is correlation between availability of pre-school programs and achievement also.
So you should support these and programs to encourage parents reading to their kids. And don’t expect any magic bullets.

IQ remains remarkably stable over time for a given individual. I was once in the business of giving the tests, and for most individuals their scores would vary only a few points, plus or minus, over the years.

You can’t increase IQ significantly with gadgets or software programs. There may be some test prep people out there who can tell you ways to maximize your performance on the test, but this doesn’t increase one’s actual IQ.

(A quick aside: I went to graduate school with mostly clinical psych majors, but we had one who majored in experimental psych. When a classmate tested his short-term memory with a portion of the test he achieved a perfect score, because he knew the strategy to do it…in addition to being brilliant.)

All that said, the above poster is correct. Traditionally, intelligence is thought to be derived about half from endowment and half from environmental stimulation. So, you CAN improve the IQ potential (certainly language abilities) of a child by providing them with a word-rich environment. Reading as much as you can to the developing child, and engaging in frequent questioning dialogue with them is definitely going to improve their abilities in the verbal domain.

What? Yours is the first post mentioning this position as far as I can see. “Innate IQ” has been studied for over a century and has been deemed unchangeable? If anything “innate IQ” and the meaning of IQ tests have been called into question.