Can Ramadan be suspended in time of war?

Or vampires.

My friends - Muslims in Michigan, coincidentally enough - often gained weight during Ramadan, because they were eating too much at night.

Bhashkar Mazumder is, in all probability, not a Muslim. Mazumder is, AFAIK, not an Islamic name, I think it is Bengali Hindu.

You can’t suspend Ramadan any more than you can suspend February. Ramadan is a month. Now, fasting, on the other hand, is a religious observance.

Regarding the bit about pregnant women fasting when they should be exempt: I suspect that this might very well be like what I’ve seen with some members of other faiths. Even when their religious leaders tell them that they are exempt, or in some cases even prohibited, from fasting, some members still fast. Maybe they do it out of habit, maybe they do it because they think they know better than “that young whippersnapper rabbi/priest/bishop/imam/etc.,” or maybe they do it because their parents will castigate them for not following the religious rules to a T as the parents incorrectly interpret the rules.

I happened to be speaking to someone in Abu Dhabi just now and asked this. The answer is that no they don’t. Indeed working at night is preferred as it’s 45 degrees there right now.

And just to say, we’re well into Ramadan, but the Muslim separatists in our deep South have been shooting and bombing like there’s no tomorrow. I believe nine policemen were shot dead in one day.

Missed the Edit window: And here’s today’s attack. Or one of them.

I can suspend February if I want to - it’s in the Constitution. Stop trying to trample my 9th Amendment rights!

A few days ago. I ordered from the orderly at work. And biscuits. I was very busy at the time. He brought them. I drank the tea. And had a couple of the biscuits. Only then I realised. Its no big deal. Well it is, but more of a “damn that was stupid of me” than a “I am going to hell”

Your attitude is what I think would go in most muslim majority countries. I know I have given exams when fasting. And done quite well.

In other news. Its nearly 6 pm now and an hour to go. Somebody please kill me now.

And to mark the end of Ramadan, 10 men torched a Honda dealership in our deep South early this morning. (The managing director of the dealership had a car bomb go off in front of a hotel he owns earlier this month.) It’s been a particularly violent Ramadan down that way this year, so no, Ramadan does not have to interfere with insurgencies and such.

But… How can we afford to take that chance, now that you’ve raised this issue?!

As an aside, the placenta only becomes active after 2-3 months.

I’ve heard (no cite, sorry) that violence in Muslim nations tends to follow a cycle of increasing when Ramadan falls in the summer and decreasing when it falls in the winter. The hypothesis is that the longer fasts make people more disagreeable.