Can solid objects be refacted?

That is, if a small, solid object is passing through a medium where its terminal velocity is x, and it passes into another medium where terminal velocity is y, then will the path of the object be bent?
-Oli

I’m no expert on this, but don’t marksmen have to take the glass into account if the target is behind a window? I can see this being important if the bullet will strike the window at a steep angle, but I guess if this is still an issue if the bullet is travelling perpendicular to the glass, then the marksmen’s adjustments must be for true refraction, rather than some sort of glancing effect.

My gut reaction is yes, but the refraction is in the opposite sense as it is in light. Instead of bending toward the normal, I suspect it would bend away from the normal.

Of course, light can itself be considered as made of “solid” particles. Refraction of light happens because it wants to spend the least time in getting through any medium:

It is explained better here. Look at the end of the page for an example you can relate to.

Thanks! That page is a great help in understanding refraction.
-Oli

Imagine driving a car off the paved road and onto a gravel shoulder. As the right wheels go onto gravel they get slowed down, and as a result the whole car will veer to the right. It’s the same principle as refraction, sort of.