Can someone please advise me on a DIY project on a metal table with a Faux Marble top?

Hi,

I have this metal table with a faux marble top that I’d like to fix-up. It was exposed to some sun and water and some other type of cleaner and now the top is damaged. The top is peeling on one corner and I want to peel the rest off, but it’s stuck pretty good.

It looks like a paper type product that is stuck to what looks like a cement, but might also be a composition?

Can anyone give suggestions as to the best methods to approach this project?

Can you take a picture, host it somewhere and link to the picture?

If it is a paper type product, then generally a 5in1 tool is ideal for the job followed by sanding.

How to you plan to resurface the table?

If a scraper tool like What_Exit suggested can get under the surface laminate it may peel off easier than you think. Try using heat or solvents to loosen the glue also. Heat will probably work. A hair dryer may do, a heat gun is better. Much less work peeling it off and scraping residual glue instead of trying to sand through layers of the stuff.

Can you upload a picture of it? Sites like imgur.com allow you to upload pictures and share links to them.

Based on the description, it sounds like some kind of plastic or vinyl laminate which is stuck to the table with adhesive. Heat works well. You can experiment with a hair dryer to see if it helps. Blow hot air on one spot until it gets as hot as possible and see if the film peels away. If it does, you might want to get a heat gun since it will get hotter and work quicker. They’re pretty cheap at hardware stores.

I’d hold off on scrapers for now since they could scratch the metal table. You may want to leave it just as the metal table since it can be challenging to apply new film. The sticky film will want to stick to itself and you can get bubbles. But if you like overcoming those kinds of challenges, you can apply new film yourself.

Having not seen the table, here’s a suggestion out of left field: is the top bolted down to the frame? Could you unscrew the top, flip it over, bolt it back down and have a virgin surface to do as you please? Just a thought.

Thanks for all the help everyone. I’ll work on uploading a picture. I’ll check out the flip possibility also.