Can someone please tell Oprah Winfrey she isn't God?

So does mine. But yours is either March 11, 2007 or November 3, 2007 depending on how they do their dates. The pertinent section of mine was updated on December 16, 2007 and then subsequently in January. And the fact that she gave them all cell phones, a move supported by the school’s principal, completely wipes out the allegation that the girls can’t call out of the school. Just because it has strict discipline policies doesn’t mean it’s bad. Some of the world’s greatest schools have similar policies. Abusers have been identified, arrested, and put away. What would you have her do, shut the school down?

Your post might be a little more valid if you’d stopped with the insipid and immature, deliberate misspellings of Oprah’s name.

It wasn’t clever in your last Pit thread on Oprah where you got your ass handed to you, and it isn’t clever now.

This is exactly it. Her existence as a celebrity is based strictly on being Oprah; she really doesn’t do anything artistic, unless excessive narcissism is now an art form. What’s the award statuette for that anyway, a concave magnifying mirror?

Yes there are plenty of celebrities like this (Paris Hilton leaps to mind), but they are soundly ridiculed for that fact, much less getting rich off it.

This isn’t about how much money she gives away, or whether she’s really a nice person. I laud her for giving money away, but frankly much of that is done for self-promotion (“No one knows how much she has given to thousands of strangers on a personal level, which she loves to do in secret.” is self-defeating; if she really did it in secret, you wouldn’t know how frequently she does it).

And the $300 million donated over her career is a little less impressive when one considers the woman’s current net worth is over $1.5 billion. That’s not a knock on charity, or a plea that she needs to give more, but if median net worth of US families was $93,100 in 2004, it’s equivalent to $18,620 total donated over the past 20 years (~$931 a year)–not bad, but not exactly earth-shattering.

Oh, bull fucking shit. How much have you given?

Oafrah made a point to the media that she gave them all a phone and they can call her at anytime, who knows if this is true of a media ploy? In any case, if they call does she answer? Who knows? And they can call goddess Oafrah anytime, but not their parents? FUCK that megalomaniacal cunt. Your cite is a generic Wiki article probably by someone who suckles at her teat, mine is actual quotes from people who live there and have kids there. Read my cite- the prison comparison is not hyperbole. Are you really implying the girls and aprents are lying about not being able to call out?

And its a fuck of a lot easier to give to charity when you have billions. 20 dollars from me for my net worth would be about the equivalent to what Oafrah gives, and I give that in handouts to homless in a month.

$2.5 billion.

Jay Leno was (and still is) a hard-working stand-up comedian. Jon Stewart’s show is more than “just a talk show”; it is humorous political commentary, something that has made celebrities out of Americans since Mark Twain. And something that required talent to do.

Oprah has the highest-rated talk show in history? I’d like to see a cite for that; perhaps you meant “syndicated talk show”?

Ahh, Phil Donahue; I loved subscribing to his weekly “P” magazine. And when Merv did that special where he gave everyone in the audience a free Edsel, you just knew he was doing it out of love and not to score a free PR bonanza while whoring for a car company’s flagging product line.

And you just know Oprah is working on a way to download her personality into a computer, so future generations can bask in the warnming glow of her over-adulated common sense.

I dunno, who — you?

No, I’m not. But your news is at least a month older than mine, maybe 9 months. The “generic” cite is thoroughly documented. You have to scroll down and look at the footnotes.

Who knows if you’re telling the truth, or it’s just a ploy to garner sympathetic ears? Jesus.

I’m not going on TV telling everyone how wonderful I am for giving things away. How much have you…ah, what’s the point?

A valid point is not a valid point if I mock her name- interesting.

And I do hope all those people who handed me my ass the last time come here and read my cite- I’ve been waiting for a thread like this to drop it in- guess all those who handed me my ass were full of shit then. Bring the excuses for the prison shit on, and no, boarding school doesn’t come close to the shit described in the cite, unless you mean one for boys in the UK, circa 1970.

I don’t think it matters to Wee Bairn what Winfrey does, as any action she takes is going to be construed as further evidence for his irrational hatred. It’s not about Winfrey’s actions, is about justify his own bizarre fixation. Seriously, you’re wasting your time even talking to him on this subject. He’s completely Hinckley over the woman.

Wait, I thought her being successful on television, and in film, and in production, and in publishing was what made her rich enough to give away $300 million (at least).

You mean she actually wormed her way into television, and into film, and into production, and into publishing, just to be able to talk only about her benevolence?

I am more than willing to listen to a rational explanation for the complaints outlined in my cite on the school, and how they can be construed as anything but alarming. It’s easy to dismiss my cite because of my dislike of her, but take me out of it, the cite still exists, and no one can put a positive spin on it.

You people are nuts. I can’t say I’m a fan of Oprah. I’ve never watched her show. I have fairly little interest in what she does.

But she’s (overall) a fucking MODEL of how rich people should act. She has earned her money through her own talent (as a talk show hostess), not by having rich parents, or betraying or leeching off of others. And she uses her fame and her money to do incredible amounts to further good causes.
So she has lots of rabid fans. So? So she has a book club. So? What’s she supposed to do, append a “but of course, this is just my opinion about this item, and there are lots of other good things out there, and don’t just take my opinion as gospel” disclaimer every time to she finds something she likes that she wants to promote? Or never recommend books or food or products without having first taken college level classes in that subject so that she is truly an expert? Sure, she promoted “The Secret”, one of the stupidest things ever. But it’s something she truly believed and she was trying to do good by spreading it. She still gets points for trying.
If Oprah had some massive ego which convinced her that she was more successful and popular and influential than she really is, and thus kept pumping money into enormous wasteful Oprah-themed ventures that flopped, that would be one thing. (And it’s entirely possible that she has done so at least one or two times, but that’s not the general pattern). But why shouldn’t she open a store? Why shouldn’t she provide employment for people, promote products that she likes, and make money? Better her than MOST rich people, as far as the odds that that money will end up going to a good cause is concerned.

If you were extraordinarily rich, and more influential than just about anyone else in American, what would you do? Just about anything you do is going to piss off SOMEONE. Advocate things and people who disagree with them will be mad at you for poking your nose where it doesn’t belong. Never advocate anything and people will be mad at you for not using your position to advocate things. Sure, Oprah is not a saint. But it would be MUCH easier for an Oprah-like figure to be worse than her, and quite hard for an Oprah-like figure to be better.

Geesh.

Okay, thanks. Didn’t know about all that. Appreciate the heads-up.

I knew you would deliberately misinterpret the point I was making (just like you did all through your last Oprah Pit thread).

I wasn’t saying you had a valid point at all; you don’t. I was saying, if you ever did come up with one, the immature misspelling would diminish it.

Just like last time, you’ll continue to display your immatury, deliberately misinterpret posts, and won’t ever come up with anything valid.

Her name is Oprah. I was a twee little twat for mocking her. Now, wanna defend the cite, instead of just dismissing it? Or address why it “isn’t valid”. Last time I was derided for not coming up with factual cites- well now I have one.

What gives any person the right to attempt to run the lives of someone else’s kids to that extent? I’m guessing the mindset is “I’m Oprah, I pay for the school, I’m rich and educated, I know better than the parents, I will tell them exactly what to do, period”. That’s not a schools job, that’s a parents job. If she wants to do that, tell her to go out and have a fucking kid of her own.

Liberal, couldn’t send this to you privately, so enjoy.

Wee Bairn, Liberal is doing well enough tearing down your and the OP’s claims (along MaxtheVool and, amazingly enough, CJJ*).

Since this isn’t my thread, I don’t want to run all over it and so will bow out after this- does anyone have a cite where she actually gave the kids the number, and they call it, and she answers it, and she talks to them and addresses their issues- or was it just window dressing?

Wow. It’s okay, the public needs to be aware. Thanks.