Can the origin of this (probably military) "challenge coin" be identified?

I found this coin (side 1, side 2), and was wondering if there’s any way to tell more about where/when it came from? I’m assuming it was issued by a branch of the military.

[Moderator Note]
The above links are google temporary links, and no longer work. The correct links are below.
Side 1
Side 2
[/Moderator Note]

It’s right there on the coin, dude.

Yes, I did read that the coin is from “Explosive Ordnance Disposal Unit 2”, but this doesn’t really mean anything to me (and I did do some Google searching beforehand, but didn’t find an exact replica of it). The FB page suggests it is a purely Navy branch, is that correct? Would another branch not issue these?

I’m trying to get a little more specific and narrow down a location and timeframe where it could have come from. Google isn’t being as useful for that, so I was hoping people with some knowledge of these types of things might be of greater assistance.

I’m going to make a wild guess here that the folks at that Facebook page are more likely to know the answers to your questions about that coin than anyone on this forum; after all, it’s their coin.

It looks like the challenge coins I’ve seen in Mountie-land here in Canada.

The RCMP (“Mounties”) and military have them. They can be generic “RCMP”, or " Royal Canadian Navy", etc, or specific to a particular unit “RCMP - F Division.”

If a group of Mounties is out for drinks after work, somebody can say “Challenge” or whatever their local term is. Everyone at the table has to pull out a challenge coin. If you don’t have your challenge coin with you, you buy the round, for failing to display esprit de corps.

I may have to go that direction indeed. This used to be a forum where people with a wide variety of knowledge were able and willing to share it, when a search for information wasn’t immediately forthcoming via the usual means (as has been the case for me here). I wouldn’t assume that anyone would know, but back in the day at least, there would be a good chance someone would know more than a machine like Google could quickly reveal.

OK, and I’ll ask another question to try to get a little more to the point. I see that the coin says “Fort Story, VA” on it. Which if I Google it, is a Navy base - but the Wiki does mention that they train Army there too:

So it’s quite possible this could be issued to someone in the Army, yes?

if I remember correctly the American version of this is who ever has the highest ranking coin gets free drinks

These coins have no verifiable provenance. Literally anybody can make one, and they are customized to say whatever the customer wants. I’ve even got a buddy who had a very small batch made just for his personal circle of friends. What I’m trying to say is that there is no institute of coin heraldry that keeps records like this.

The coins aren’t officially ‘issued’ or tracked in any way. They get handed out as “attaboys” or souvenirs on a whim. For example, if an Army soldier visited a Navy EOD school, he might get one as a souvenir. There are no ‘rules’ for this.

Since there’s no way to independently verify these things, your only hope is to contact the unit on Facebook and ask if anyone remembers seeing these coins.

The pictures don’t work for me. Are the links still working for everyone else?

I get a Google login screen. No way I’m doing anything like that. So no pics.

This is still a forum where people with a wide variety of knowledge are able and willing to share it; I shared some with you. But now you seem to have some kind of irrational resistance to actually contacting the people who likely made and gave out the coin you now have. Why you think that anyone here would have some knowledge of this random coin, let alone more knowledge of it than the people who likely created it and gave it out, is beyond me (and JB99, from the looks of it).

Weird, I put them in a public album on Google photos and direct linked. Checked it in an incognito window when I posted them and it worked (meaning it wouldn’t need a login), but now it does. Re-uploaded to imgur:

Side 1
Side 2

Challenge coins can be ordered by anyone to say anything and be given to anyone else at any time for any reason; there’s nothing proprietary about them. If it was made just for a specific person, event, or date, etc, it would say so on the coin itself. This coin could have been ordered by a plumber in Cleveland who never spent a day in uniform and handed out via helium balloon over the New Jersey Turnpike 5 years later.

Google makes temporary links when you do that. They work for a while, then quit after a few days. I assume it is designed to prevent hotlinking.

I added the imgur links to the OP so that anyone new coming into the thread will see the correct links. Let me know if those links expire or have any other issues.

The Facebook page for Explosive Ordnance Training and Evaluation Unit 2.

From the description on a photo of one of their robots taken during a press event:

The official NECC page
A look at the development of NECC from a Congressional Research Service report - Navy Irregular Warfare and Counterterrorism Operations: Background and Issues for Congress

Given the name on the coin I’d assume this unit is explicitly tied to security force assistance missions. They train and evaluate units, by name :D, in a major command focused on irregular warfare. That sounds suspiciously like they spend a lot of time working in support of a SOCOM mission. There are also plenty of military to military engagement and security force assistance missions that happen outside the SOCOM silo under the geographically based combatant commands. Who knows where they fall on that spectrum.

Then I’m due for a round of freebies! I’ve got one handed to me by Tommy Franks–shaped like a dog tag! Four stars on a red banner (he was Army).

I deployed with EODMU3 and EODMU6, but I was Air Force EOD. I have coins from both. It is probable that anyone would have been awarded that EODTEU2 coin as an ‘Atta Boy/Girl!’ or on their departure in good standing. It is probable that an Army, Navy, Air Force, or Marine Corps EOD Tech (or support staff) may have been awarded that coin.

The OP has pretty much been answered in this thread, however, when I was with EODMU3 and EODMU6, they were under an EODGRU2–the overarching “group” that had the Mobile Units under their command. I never fully understood Navy architecture, though, and it’s entirely possible EODTEU2 is either a subordinate command to EODGRU2, or evolved from EODGRU2–I’d need a Navy EOD Tech to answer that one. All state-side AF EOD teams were detailed to AFCENT, who then sent them out through “Aerospace Support Squadrons” for a Command Structure. The Navy and Army tend to deploy company-level sized units. The Air Force would pull Flight-level sized units from the various Flights (platoon-level) and combine them into a composite Flights underneath a Support Squadron. Kinda messy, but hey, that’s how bureaucracies work.

So, yes, it’s a military coin. Lots of folks collect them, like I do. Yes, pretty much most military organizations have them, and that’s not just limited to EOD or the United States. I have some from the Aussies, Brits, and Canadians. I have some from Infantry Divisions, some from Command Staffs, some from Engineers.

Tripler
Once I get to my stash, I’ll post the collection in a picture. Seriously, Tommy Franks!!