Can Trump shut down the government by himself?

Let’s say, hypothetically, there are enough votes to overturn a veto. Remember that the President has 10 days (Sundays excepted) to issue a veto. So he could keep the government shut down for those 10 days (Sundays excepted) while he delays issuing his veto.

Very helpful response! You should post more!

It’s late in the year, but I think we have our 2018 Understatement of the Year winner!

Quorom is only 218 without vacancies. Adjournment takes a majority vote. Adjournment for more than three days takes the consent of both houses. Those coming back in Jan are the majority and have interest in at least being seen as being in DC. They probably don’t want to go on record for voting to adjourn during a shutdown. The veto override is based on those actually there to vote. I could see those leaving actually helping a potential veto override when they do.

Of course, as pointed out above Trump can just sit on any CR making the veto override moot until January.

Well, today it looks like his handlers won this round.

I knew he wouldn’t give up 16 days at Mar-a-Lago…

Just to sort out some of the confusion, let me explain that if a president neither signs nor vetoes a bill within 10 days of its passage it becomes law without his signature, unless congress has adjourned. But during those 10 days, the continuing resolution will not have passed and the government will shut down. And if congress adjourns, then nothing can happen until a new congress gets going (unless Trump signs the CR).

Till his signature is on a bill the wiggle room of “it looks like” is probably necessary. It wouldn’t be the first time his messaging about legislation changed and then changed back again.

I think if Congress is adjourned, the bill dies and has to be revoted on. That’s the "pocket veto ".

Yes, he could pocket veto it. That would basically keep the government shut down until the new Congress is sworn in, and I have a hard time seeing it getting through both houses on the first day, especially with having to completely restart the House. I’d expect a shutdown until at least Epiphany, and that’s if he doesn’t throw a fit about whatever could get past a Democratic House and a Republican Senate.

What on Earth makes you think he wouldn’t head off to Mar-A-Lago during a shutdown?

And now he’s saying he ain’t gonna sign a no-Wall bill anyway, so I guess we’ll find out which of us is right, eh?