Can we get 'how to enable avatars' added to the 'FAQ - Technical issues for Posting' sticky?

I don’t see what all the fuss is about. Are people seriously jonesing for an avatar?

Also, what’s with the “work-around” that some people supposedly have? I never see an avatar on here. (hm, altho… do they have to be enabled?) and if they don’t show, what’s the point of having that script? so you can have an avatar even tho no one sees it??

please, fill in the blanks.

^ See?

Sticky an explanation and directions for the avatar script by itself, distinct from everything official. It makes the board more functional and attractive (in the sense of attracting users), and it heads off what would otherwise be endless new threads on the subject.

I actually see your’s – if you have a picture linked in your profile, it comes up as an avatar, actually, for those with the script.

And yes, a lot of people want avatars. Imagine that. So perhaps it would be nice to let people know when they sign up that there’s a way to have them.

Ah. The script lets you see other people’s “unofficial” avatars. God, I better go see what my profile picture is.

And thanks for explanation. :slight_smile:

There. I put in a different pic. That other showed too much body. This one looks like I should be speaking German.

Great, Guin. Now I’m going to be self-conscious about this. :stuck_out_tongue:

Yup, as well as your own. And you can put any picture you want there, basically. (Well, as long as it’s not like, mangled up corpses crawling with maggots or something)

And do you know who else was born on April 20?

Damn! Now I have to find a new one…

:wink:

Ha ha, yes I do. One has to wonder how it is that YOU know…

You wouldn’t believe what all else has happened then. I just posted a run-down of it on my Blog. I think it’s the 2nd entry down right now. Called Turns out April really IS the cruelest month.

I vill not tells you dat informazion!

Actually, I only know because of the Columbine massacre. They picked that day to honor their Fuehrer. And I can always remember which day was Columbine because my father died that very same day. (But in another state and completely unrelated to the massacre.)

Saying that you don’t support or endorse it in any way is not correct, considering that you haven’t locked or deleted the threads/posts concerning the script, or asked people to remove the code from their profiles.

So in the very least you are allowing it implicitly, which is a form of support. Putting a link in the FAQ with a disclaimer: The SMDB does not officially support or endorse the use of avatars, but here is a link to a custom script that will add some avatar functionality.

What’s so wrong with that?

There’s much more: http://tapu-tapu-tapu.blogspot.com/2012/07/turns-out-april-really-is-cruelest.html

At what point in these proceedings does a “request” turn into a “demand”?

Given the low odds of anything happening, does it matter?

In civil discourse, it always matters.

I can see their point. The staff have decided they don’t want the vBulletin avatar capability enabled. That’s official policy. Writing instructions on how to use a third party kludge to restore the capability they have officially decided not to enable into the official board documentation would undermine that policy.

Imagine you got on an airplane that had personal entertainment systems built into the seat backs. You ask the flight attendant and they say: “No, we don’t turn those on during domestic flights. However, if you want, here’s instructions on how to rig up a cable from a pair of headphones and a shoelace that will let you use your iPad as a power source to run the entertainment system.” You’d rightfully stare at them like they were insane.

Whereas if instead they simply kept to their policy, but were nice enough to look the other way while some passengers use this trick to get around the restriction, they look somewhat accommodating. More importantly, they don’t look like they actually think said crazy trick is the best way to run an in-flight entertainment system.

Endorsing the avatar script sends a very different message than merely tolerating it.

Well, since you’re the only one in this thread to use the word demand up til now, I guess, discourse is civil then.
Giraffe, I see your point, but as someone else mentioned, isn’t the same true of the sticky re: google searching?

I think this is what I love most about avatar discussions here, the analogies.

But several comments imply that the SDMB Avatar script is a cumbersome kludge. It really isn’t. As long as you have Firefox or Chrome it takes one click to install it, and avatars are immediately visible with zero configuration.

The script is actually a much better avatar system than the built-in one even if it were enabled. It allows selectively blocking individual avatars, substituting an avatar of your own choice for any poster’s avatar, assigning an avatar for banned users, changing the size that avatars display, zooming an avatar to full size by hovering the mouse over it, etc.

Even if the TPTB enabled built-in avatars I would prefer to use this system. So it really does seem sort of like the “Google is a better way to search our boards, here is how to do it” sticky, except for the inexplicable sensitivities involved in avatar discussions.

If The Powers That Be decide to make one exception, are they then obligated to make any and/or all other exceptions?

I never said anything about obligations. It would however, be nice to have an actual response explaining why they feel the situations differ rather than an abrupt refusal.