Can we turn on RSS feeds?

Do you think it would be a heavy load on the server to generate them? It would be extremely nice.

I’m also curious if the reader ever considered publishing a feed for the homepage. I guess a “downside” is that it would probably bring more people to the site. It would undoubtedly be heralded as one of the cool feeds on the net.

/Alterego

Nothing coming like this week or anything like that, but watch this space, we’re looking at it.

your humble TubaDiva
Administrator

What’s an RSS feed?

RSS Feed

Doesn’t mean I understand it.
Is there a tech translator in the house?

To over-simplify, this would allow you to see what had been changed on the Straight Dope web site at one fell swoop.

I’m not sure if this over-simplification is too simple or not simple enough. But I still don’t get it.

Happy

I may be confused a bit, but would this help?

(Here if you’re on LiveJournal.)

The simplest way to learn about RSS feeds is to sign up at bloglines.com and subscribe to a few. They are really neat and save loads of time.

RSS, explained (both the what and the how):
http://slate.msn.com/id/2096660

twiddles thumbs anxiously

any possible word on this?

RSS is enabled in many vBulletin 3.0 boards, even if the administrator doesn’t realize it.

Try the normal URL for a forum, followed by /external.php?type=rss . (No, it does NOT work for the SDMB.)

RSS and Javascript feeds add queries to the MySQL database and slow things down for those actually using a very busy board. At the risk of junior administrating, I would imagine this is one reason why they aren’t turned on here.