Can You Be Charged With A 'Sex Crime' For Urinating In Public?

I’ve heard stories of men who have claimed that they were charged with a ‘sex crime’, and were required to register as a ‘sex offender’, simply because they were caught urinating in public with their flaccid genitalia exposed. Can this possibly be true?

Does this mean it is no longer safe for us to extinguish campfires, de-ice windows and frozen door locks, or write our names in the snow?

Thanks.

Were they really accidentally “caught” urinating in public? It’s all too easy for an exhibitionist to protest “I was just peeing” when apprehended – from what I’ve read, it’s a common excuse.

If you are peeing in a dark alley, not sexual, if your peeing next to a childrens playground in daylight probably sexual IMHO

Indecent exposure for starters. You’d have to check your state’s sex offender registration statute to see if that would require registration.

Update: A recent article in The Economist says that you could be labeled a ‘sex offender’ in at least 13 states for public urination.

I’d like to know which states those are - the article doesn’t seem to list them.

Well, this poor lady was charged with lewd and lascivious behavior because she couldn’t hold it. The charges were dropped only because of public outrcy; the city seemed to have every intention of proceeding with the suit.
http://www.ohio.com/news/break_news/52590657.html

I know a case where an elderly mentally challenged man was urinating near a subway station. He was arrested for indecent exposure and if convicted would have been a registered sex-offender. With the help of a good and expensive lawyer the charges were dropped.

http://www.hrw.org/sites/default/files/reports/us0907webwcover.pdf

The reason for the law was to make it easier to prosecute flashers. Men would expose themselves (purely to show off), then argue if they were caught that the victim was mistaken and that they were only urinating. In order to remove that defense, some states made it a sex crime.

A lot of these things come under, what I term as “umbrella regulations.” For instance, in H/R there is a thing called “Creating a hostile working envirnoment.” This falls under the scope of “Sexual Harrassment.”

Supposing I wore way too much cologne and refused to correct said behaviour. Or suppose I put up a copy of “the Ten Comandments,” in a public place at work. After meeting with H/R I refused to alter said behavour.

You could be dismissed for “sexual harrassment,” even though the “Ten Commandments” or “wearing too much cologne,” have nothing to do with sex.

The offenses fall under the “sexual harrassment umbrella.”

So the laws are written in a similar way.

Has flashing ever been that common a crime? Peeing is a normal need. To put it in the same category seems to be stretching a lot.

Actually, in most cases like this, it’s because it’s covered by the indecent exposure statute and there’s no carve out for peeing against a building (I was once threatened with arrest for that very offense.) I just wrote a staff report that covers this stuff, and I don’t want to spoil it, but at common law, you could be charged with indecent exposure even if nobody could see you. Some states have made added requirements like the exposure must be likely to “offend or alarm,” adding a mens rea requirement, or requiring that the exposure be where others actually are instead of the broader “someone might be able to see” standard. A few actually require that the exposure be to a member of the opposite sex.

If you take a look at a few of the statutes from my cite, you’ll see what I mean:

Arizona Legislature (this is the underlying offense–the cite is to the sex offender registration statute).

http://www.lexis-nexis.com/hottopics/gacode/default.asp

http://www.legislature.idaho.gov/idstat/Title18/T18CH41SECT18-4116.htm

Yes, but idea behind this application of the law, by which it’s an offense in and of itself for the citizen for any reason to drop trou or whip it out in a public space when and where someone else can see it, was that if you’re legitimately caught short, you’ll head into the woods or otherwise make sure you find the requisite privacy to take care of your business, so we’ll never know you did it.

As just mentioned, many localities are now adjusting the statute so it’s better defined. Where some states and localities blow it is when defining certain things as “sex crimes” and which incur a liability to enter the offenders registry, and they fail to make an appropriate distinction between truly predatory/high risk conduct and that which is merely distasteful.

An acquaintance of mine is now a registered sex offender because he urinated in public. A young girl (think six or seven years old) saw him doing it and it got pretty serious pretty quickly.

In fact, his propensity to get blackout drunk in public and wave his pecker around is one of many reasons he has been and will always remain just an acquaintance, never a friend.

Ohio is pretty conservative when it comes to law and order, and in many years of court experience I’ve never heard of anyone charged with a sex crime, or designated a sexually-oriented offender, for urinating in public. Indecent exposure or creating a public nuisance, more often than not, with a fine and probation, never jailed.

Hooo boy. I attend a folk fest where it’s a common practice for campers to add some nitrogen to the soil, b/c people don’t want to deal with porta potties. I wonder if it’s more like an addition to a charge…like the way a particuarly egregious sex offender could be charged with sodomy, plus rape or child molestation in a state that has that offense on the books

Note that word “lewdly”. Apparently in CA, it is not unknown for the Police to charge a dude for “Indecent exposure” for a act of simple public urination (some lawyers mention this as one of their specialties, anyway) and it appears (talking to some of my buddies) that it’s nearly always dropped- *if *you get that lawyer.

IANAL, but I suggest you don’t urinate in public- however if you are charged with a “sex crime” in connection with it, you hire a good lawyer.
As usual: if arrested, STFU, and get a lawyer. Once the handcuffs are on or they have read you your rights, do not attempt to talk your way out- that;s what lawyers are for. Say only “I want to speak to my/an attorney” and “Am I free to go?”. This is from the ACLU, not DrDeth.

You can be in the uk. A few yeas ago we were at a bus stop when a man pulled out his tadger and waved it about. I aked hm what he was doing and he looked at my wife nd started to smirk. i wanted to drag him to the back of the toilets and gave him a kickin. Unfortunatly my wife would not let me. He has now been reprted on numerous occasions but his social worker always gets him off. She says he has a bladder problem. Does this explain why he meets men in public toilets as well.

There’s a California Supreme Court case where a guy was charged indecent exosure after officers witnessed him urinating on a retaining wall outside a Taco Bell (the bathroom was unavailable). He pled guilty, and then found out he’d have to register as a sex offender. The court let him withdraw his plea. See In re Birch, 515 P.2d 12 (Cal. 1973).

Here is an excerpt: