Can you determine maximum grip strength w/o a dynomometer

Apparently doing grip exercises at 30% of maximum might reduce blood pressure.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/14556.php

However, can you determine maximum w/o a grip dynamometer? I’ve heard with bench presses, you can determine your one rep maximum because a person can do 10 reps if the weight is 70% of their 1 rep maximum. So if your 1 rep maximum is 300 pounds, you should be able to do 10 reps at 210 pounds. Does this formula work, and can it be extrapolated downwards to 30% or 50% of one rep maximum?

Supposedly average grip strength for a man in his 20s or 30s is about 120 lbs.

http://www.pinchgauge.com/pdf/grip1.pdf

However I am more muscular than average, so mine will likely be higher, maybe 140 pounds. I really don’t know. But I’m guessing that is a rough estimate for what mine would be.

I figure after I find the 1 rep maximum, I could get a gripper that tells you in pounds or kg what kind of resistance it has.

Or would just assuming 40 pounds is a rough estimate of 30% of my maximum be the best way to go? If I do 110 pounds, that is 33 pounds. If I do 150 pounds, that is 45 pounds. Either way, 40 pounds (which is 133 pounds maximum) sounds like a good estimate of 30% of 1 rep maximum.

It works, but only if you understand what it means to work in the context of prediction. More specifically, if you take a lot of people with a specified 10RM and measure their 1RM, the average will (very probably) be close to the specified value. The individual values, on the other hand, will be all over the map. That doesn’t mean that what the formula predicts isn’t a good guess; it just means that there’s significant variation from individual to individual.

I found that formula for bench didn’t apply to me very well but that’s probably because I always trained with low reps. I can tell you how I would determine my max grip strength. I would get some plates and pinch grip them. If you have some money to spend I would also check out Ironmind. They have wonderful grip products for every training scenario and are generous with their advice. Their products aren’t always cheap but they are quite well-made. I’ve been really impressed with them.

I’ve long been obsessed with increasing my grip strength. It’s good to know it may be helping control my blood pressure too. Thanks for that info. :slight_smile:

Working on the model of the grip gauge in the OP, I think gym equipment can measure your grip strength. On a rig where you pull a cable linked to an adjustable set of plates, put the thumb side of your hand on a stationary bar. With the cable grip in your fingers, pull the cable toward the bar, adding weight until you can’t do it any more.