Can you get a "woodie" where you drink?

You do realize that the possibilities for double entendre are nearly limitless here, don’t you? :stuck_out_tongue:

So, let let me get this straight, someone offers to buy you a drink and you say “no thanks - but I’ll have a piece of wood” ?
[old-skool SF film computer mit der blinken lights]
“Does not compute!”
[/old-skool SF film computer mit der blinken lights]

** dutchboy208 **
whisky dick ?

The closest I experienced were plastic tokens out in East Quouge, Long Island (near The Hamptons) at Casey’s. They have (or did back when I used to go there) buy one get one free drink specials form 8pm to 11pm (or midnight?). Everytime you ordered a drink you were given token for another drink. You wouldn’t use the tokens until special was over (or you were out of money). If you left you just took it with you for next time.

I usually see coasters or shot glasses to keep track. Usually a bartender will just give you the knock for good luck when he knows its his time to “buy”.

I’ve heard of “buybacks” but I don’t know what they are. Could someone explain this?

Weeeell, it’s a little more socially complicated than that.

Usually the bartender will notice if you have a substantial proportion of your drink left and just give you a woodie. She will sometimes ask if you want a woodie or do you want another drink? You can take the woodie or take the drink. You could decline both, but that rarely happens.

If you buy a round and someone says they don’t want one, it’s OK if they get a woodie. But it woud be rude if you bought a round and someone specifically asked for a woodie, unless:

1. they were backed up in drinks;

2. they had previously announced their intent to leave after their current drink, AND you suggested they stay for one more;

3. they had already bought you drink.

People. Making things complicated since the start of time.

Whistlepig

Refers to the inability to obtain an erection after drinking. As in “Sorry honey-pie, not tonight, I got’s me the whisky dick”

Ah, brewer’s droop, makes sense - for some reason I was thinking the opposite way round (like “diesel horn”) I couldn’t figure how whisky could assist a woodie

Isn’t it Moorecroft Wy? I was born there (actually parents lived there and the nearest decent hospital was Rapid City, where I was born).

At my local if someone in the round isn’t ready the bar staff will ‘leave it in’ for them. If your drinks are backing up and someone offers you another you may say ‘no thanks, I’ve got one in’. In the UK, instead of tipping the staff, you offer to buy them a drink, is that what someone earlier meant by ‘buyback’?