Can you log into an ftp site and upload a file via a batch file?

This is what I’d like to do…

I currently have a batch program that copies files from one computer on my home network to another computer. I’d also like to upload certain key files via ftp to off-site storage I have via my Comcast account. Comcast has this to say:

To upload files from your computer to Online Storage, using FTP software, enter the following FTP Server Settings:

SERVER: upload.comcast.net
USER NAME: Comcast.net user name
PASSWORD: Comcast.net password

I can do that using the DOS ftp command, but I don’t know how to get around having to manually type in my ID and password. I’m not concerned about entering my ID and password into a batch program. My network is well protected from the outside. Any ideas?

Also, is there a way to automatically save a file (e.g. MS Word or MS Excel) to an ftp site in one step in the “save as” dialog box, instead of having to save it to my hard drive and then uploading?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks in advance.

Most FTP programs have something like a “script” command line switch. The Windows FTP.exe has the “-s:filename” switch.

The script file would be something along the lines of:
<username>
<password>
lcd c:\website
put *.htm
close
quit

If you’re using Windows try “ftp -h” at the command line to get all the switches.

I use ftp commander. It is free. It will remember your passwords and user names and stuff for each site you upload to. You can get it here: http://www.internet-soft.com/ftpcomm.htm