Can you satisfactorily debunk Jesus/Horus and win $1000?

While cruising the net earlier, I found this site, where the author of the page says he will pay $1000 to the first person who can show him that the similar origin stories of Jesus, Krishna, Horus, Mithra are legitimate, and will stand up to the scrutiny of a religious person. In other words, it seems that the Bible is good enough for stories of Jesus, but he requires more detailed, cited info for any others, since they came before the Jesus mythos.

My impression is that the author of the website thinks he’s going to be objective about any evidence. But I get the feeling that anything that counters his pre-conceived notions is going to be discounted.

So, Dopers…can you collect $1000?

Unlike the Amazing Randi’s foundation, who are willing to put the money in escrow and to follow other safeguards, this guy is probably just another Ken Ham, who demands that you prove the matter to his satisfaction.

Okay, maybe I’m wrong.

I’ll pay $5.00 to the charity of your choice if I am.

Emphasis mine.

:dubious: I think that the two diametrically opposed things to prove to him will make it hard to do this.

Otherwise, the constraints seem to be incredibly convenient for him to dodge paying $1,000. A book with stories that are evidence otherwise can’t be used as evidence if he doesn’t agree with their author’s position? And the acts that are supposedly to be proven are likely to need interpretation from an originating language, which would give him a lot of flexibility.

I dunno. You can try to track it down if you want, but I agree with Trinopus. It seems sketchy to me.

Trust me…I understand what you mean. In fact, I said as such in the op, where I said

I agree that it’s shady. But I wonder what the counter-argument is when the average layperson tries a tactic in a similar vein.

What a pointless exercise. One could prove that Horus was said to have been born on Dec 25, had 12 guys following him around, was crucified for our sins, was son of god, had the nickname “Jesus Christ Of Nazareth”, and that Mexicans like to name their kids after him, and the response will simply be “The Horus story was simply a prophecy of the Biblical Jesus”.

It’s the equivalent of disproving the birther argument. No matter how much evidence you produce, a true believer can always say he’s not convinced and ask for more.

I don’t think you understand the challenge. It’s a common claim that Horus Mithra had a lot in common with the Jesus story. He’s calling bullshit. He wants you to prove that anyone prior to Jesus actually attributed Jesus-like things to Horus or Mithra.

You don’t have to prove they’re true claims. You just have to prove that when people say “Horus’s story is suspiciously similar to Jesus’s story,” that it actually was.

I think Cecil already won.

Sadly, Cecil doesn’t get $1,000. He proved the opposite: That Horus and Jesus were nothing alike.

Oh, well, coffee has not kicked in yet. I misunderstood what Chessic Sense said.

So to correct that, I think Cecil already showed that there will be no winners.

Has anyone ever won money from people promoting various “challenges”?

Every one I’ve ever heard of (probably excepting Randi’s) is set up to be impossible to meet and/or to have enough weasel-exceptions to prevent a pay-out.

They’re virtually all exercises in promoting a particular point of view (“see, no one could meet our challenge, we wins!!!”).

Now and then… One of the funniest (or saddest) was the Flat Earth bet, where a flat earther put up money, and a scientist took him up on it. The flat-earther lost, but resorted to endless litigation, but, at least for a short time, he had to pay.

Plus, if he had really meant it, he would have offered more money for winner.