Can you take liquids on planes yet?

I know that the official line from TSA is still that no liquids or gels are allowed on planes.

I’m just wondering if they’re still assiduously checking bags and removing them, or if things have loosened up a bit.

I fly tomorrow and would just as soon not have to buy toothpaste and mouthwash when I arrive.

Also, did they consider stick deodorants as “gel”?

Thanks.

You can pack them, just not in your carry-on luggage. As long as they’re in your checked luggage, it’s fine.

That’s your answer. Whether TSA employees check everything all the time at every checkpoint at every airport is a different issue. That also goes to the heart of the matter of whether such security lapses are commonplace and undermine what TSA says officially about security vs the reality of security they won’t talk about. :slight_smile:

There are several online news stories of late talking about the ban and many people ignoring the ban.

Well, the silliest part is how you can’t even bring stuff you’ve purchased in the airport after the security checkpoint on the plane. :rolleyes: You don’t get rescreened before you board the plane and could bring all manner of liquids. (just don’t let another passenger see you or they might panic…)

What I’m asking, of anyone who has actually travelled in the last week or two, is whether security is actively rooting through bags and pulling liquids out, or if, despite the official position, things are more or less back to normal. I’m just wondering if I’ll be thrown against the wall and given a cavity search if I dare to pack a 2-oz tube of toothpaste in my carryon bag. (I usually don’t have checked bags.)

I flew out of Boston on September 11 to Chicago, and returned the next day. I had carefully checked the TSA website ahead of time, and tailored my carry-on accordingly (I didn’t want to check a bag). So I had nothing that was even theoretically prohibited. I had the <4 fl. oz. of contact solution, solid deoderant, and no toothpaste. They X-rayed my bag, but didn’t hand-check it. In fact, I sailed through. I thought afterwards that I probably could have gotten away with a travel-sized tube of toothpaste. Of course, they may have seen it on the X-ray and taken it away. I did see a large bin behind the scanner full of illegal liquids and gels. But on cursory examination, it looked like bigger stuff – cans of hairspray and whatnot.

So is this the thread in which I complain about the stupidity of these rules? No? Oh, well, too bad.

I should also mention that there was a serious of announcements in the lounge about the fact that you weren’t allowed to bring drinks on board. Of course, you could buydrinks in the waiting area, unlike toothpaste. When I asked about the latter at Hudson News, I was told that they weren’t allowed to sell it.

They rifled through my handbag but not my carry-on. They did x-ray it, though. I dunno how much detail shows when you do that. You probably could get away with a little tube of something, although I wasn’t brave enough to risk it.

UA allowed us to bring on stuff purchased at the duty free shops beyond the security checkpoint, as long as a salesperson handed it to us directly at the gate. This was only allowed on direct flights though, for some reason I cannot fathom.

My flight was just 2 weeks ago, and security seemed pretty serious. I didn’t even think about trying to smuggle anything remotely liquid-like in (and believe me, I was tempted - a 16 hour flight with NO TOOTHPASTE = hell). I didn’t see anyone on the flight who risked it, either. But it was an international flight, which might have made security more severe than a domestic flight would have been.

My mom flew from Minneapolis to Seattle on Monday. She was asked to remove the homemade jam I’d given her from her bag (fortunately I was still there to take it back, so I’ll just mail it. Take THAT, Homeland Security!).

I flew internationally a couple days after the incident and about 8 days ago out of seattle.

You’re not supposed to take liquids on board, but I saw flight crew walking on with starbucks from the waiting area. You can purchase water and other liquids in the waiting area. Duty free is also selling cosmetics.

For toothpaste, i’m sure one of those mini tubes you get with a free toothbrush would not be noticed. My kids medicines were not even checked flying out of Denver.

Flew Houston-New Orleans and back this week. They’re checking for liquids and confiscating them whenever they’re found, so I wouldn’t bother trying it.

In N’Awlins, the shops inside the security zone required that any bottled drinks purchased had to be first poured into a large plastic cup, presumably to ensure that no one tried to slip the unopened bottle into their carry-on.

Incidently, the Tabasco people have a nice little shop in the terminal, but I only noticed it after I’d checked my bag. Sorry, no sale.

Fairly simple really. If you buy a very expensive bottle of booze on the first leg of your travels, what are you going to do with said bottle before the next flight? You most likely don’t have access to your luggage as you change planes, and you now have have a bottle of bozze that you can’t legally carry on. :smack:
I’m guessing you would be really pissed at duty free if they had sold you that bottle and you had to dump in out. :mad:

I forgot to add, I flew twice on 9/11. They were checking some if not all carryons at both airports.
YMMV.

I flew to ATL from a small airport Sept 13 and back on Sept 15. On the way there, at the small airport, no bag check. I made it through with gel deodorant, toothpaste and contact lens solution.

On the way back through ATL they searched by bag (but only my toiletries) and confiscated by deodorant, toothpaste and lens solution. I asked “How are people supposed to travel without this stuff?” Three of the TSA workers standing around replied in unison, “Check your bag!” So I says the them, I says, “And add an hour to my trip waiting at baggage claim? I don’t think so.”

So I’ve decided, next time I fly, (to New Orleans in Oct) I’m going to get a small cheapy little bag, put my liquids and gels in it and check that bag. Then I’m going to carry on the rest of my stuff. I’m not even going to claim the toiletries when I arrive (not that a tiny bag like that would survive anyway). That’ll teach 'em.

Anyone know if I’d get questioned about not claiming by bag?

Why do you hate America? Terrorist.

Gak! Sorry for the coding. :smack:

I flew internationally on September 11 and 12. The liquid ban primarily applies to flights in and out of the US and, to a certain extent, the UK. Our bags were x-rayed. In one direction they were searched very carefully. Signs all over the Heathrow and Vancouver airports about the restrictions. Duty Free checked my itinerary before selling me liquids (Heathrow to Vancouver was ok). In Vancouver there were signs all over the secure area telling us we could buy beverages in a cup, but not a bottle, and we couldn’t have lids.

However, there were some folks who didn’t clear their bags. Their subsequent searches, protests, etc. slowed everyone else down significantly. Just buy some toothpaste in an airport shop on the other end, please.

Supposedly, solid-stick deodorant is OK, toothpaste isn’t. Though Heaven knows what the TSA people will be looking for or paying attention to on a given day. You’ll just be asked to hand over the toothpaste.

(I wonder what happens if you show up with a small dufflebag made in the shape of a tube of toothpaste… dol they recognize you’re mocking them and give you the thrice-over?)

If I’ve learned anything in my years on this planet, it’s Don’t Screw Around With The Guys In Uniform.

Definitely don’t try to hide liquids from them in your carry-ons. If they find liquids, they decide if you just forgot to put them in your checked bag, or if you were deliberately trying to hide them. They could probably make life interesting for you and the people behind you in the security line if they thought you were trying to hide something.