Canadian English grammar question.

I was just checking the medal count at the Olympics to see by how much the US is destroying France (my foolish French friend entered into a bet with me regarding whose country would win the most gold medals; I am looking forward to my pitcher of margarita) and I noticed something that piqued my curiosity.

The Olympics website has a rotating bunch of images of the latest news, and I noticed that the noun-verb agreement for sports teams is inconsistent. Okay, so in British English, the team or country is referred to in the third person plural (“China win gold”), while in American English, the team is referred to in the third-person singular (“China wins gold”). IME, Canadian English tends to be something of a mix of American and British English in form, but in grammar it seems more similar to American English. So I was interested to see that according to the Olympics website, “Sweden win cross-country” and “China win relay” - but “Canada takes bobsleigh gold and silver.”

Canadians, do both sound okay to you, or is there maybe a British person working for the website?

Well I’ll be. Sounds like another one of the dreaded Undercover Brits. Canadians generally use the singualr for teams: Canada takes the gold, China wins the silver.

Agree with the above.

Those are the worst kind.

Thanks!