Canadian Food Menu

Montreal bagels. Yum.
Fries with gravy? Fries with vinegar?

Peameal bacon sandwiches.

Tourtiere?

Sugar cream pie?

PEI mussels?

Do Canadians eat a lot of those, or do you ship them all down here to us? Yum.

Dont those Nova Scotia fishermen have any tasty catches they reserve for the homies?

Tourtiere, one of my fonder memories of Saguenay.

Thanks to detop for telling me the name of that damn pie.

Keep 'em coming, folks!

Das Glasperlenspiel, I am so with you on that going home bit. It’s a mere 9 hour drive to Toronto from here (Baltimore), but that’s still EAST. I want to go home to Alberta and have mmmmAngus beef steaks and new potatoes and peas from Mom’s garden, washed down with Kokanee + Clamato, and eat Saskatoon Crisp for dessert while drinking down a double-double.

Next time I go to Alberta I want you for a guide.

It’s funny you say that - I took two dopers to my mom’s place this past summer and fed them just about that, too. I don’t think I made pie, though; and they certainly got their fill of Tim Horton’s. Tripler now keeps a secret stash of the stuff in his desk, in Georgia.

If you come to my house, I will give you Saskatoon berry pie and Tim Horton’s double-doubles. I’m in MD as well (and we’re having a party next weekend).

Yeah, about that. One “one point one” (a.k.a. a “two point two pounder”) has lasted me only two and a half months. How do I go aboot ordering more?

Tripler
I don’t know what a double-double exactly is, but even though I’ve already had two of them, I make my own version down here (most would call it a “full pot of coffee”).

Yellow split-pea soup with bacon and potatoes.

Nova Scotia seafood chowder.

I think “Canadian bacon” is an Americanism. I believe that term refers to what Canadians call “peameal bacon” or “back bacon,” depending what region you’re in.

In a foodie inn on Vancouver Island, I once had nasturtium soup and barnacles. Delicious, or anyway, more delicious than you’d think.

http://canadianfavourites.com/store/beverages.html - Too expensive, IMHO. Try calling a Tim’s in the US - Tim Hortons (and I’ve thoughtfully included the English link for you).

Happy Thanksgiving, people! We’re heading over to spend it with some local Canadian ‘family’ (one of them is a Doper but has posted three times only).

Mmmm, split pea soup! I’ve only ever had green, made with ham.

The Caesar cocktail and Ginger Beef are notable contributions.

Dont forget Winnipeg style cream cheese with those Montreal bagels

I dont know what is so special about Tim Hortons coffee (its thin), but the lunch features are usually pretty decent. The main menu item seems to be patriotism.

Jeez, how could I miss Ginger Beef? It’s only my all-time favourite food. I can’t eat it anymore (too high in calories - it’s fried TWICE).

Dave met a woman who runs a Chinese restaurant near here. She’s a Canadian, from Edmonton. When Dave found out she can make Ginger Beef, I damn near cried with happiness.

My grandmother, who was a Nova Scotian, introduced me to it. She told me that using yellow split peas is a Canadian speciality. Incidentally, when speaking of this dish, be sure to insert the word “split” in between the words “yellow” and “pea” because “yellow pea soup” doesn’t sound appealing.

Here’s a recipe:

one pound dried yellow split peas (green peas also work in this recipe)
one meaty leftover ham bone
three or four tbsp ham bouillon (Penzey’s sells a good one)
two onions
four carrots
two leafy stalks of celery
two quarts of water
half tsp white pepper
half tsp dried thyme and/or powedered rosemary
one cup of cooked Canadian bacon, cut up in strips (hold aside)
fresh parsley, chopped (hold aside)
sour cream (hold aside)
two leftover boiled potatoes, cut into bite-sized pieces (hold aside)

Note: no salt. Don’t need it; the ham bouillon is plenty salty.

Three days before you plan to serve the soup, soak the peas overnight in water. Next day, drain the peas, discarding the water. Boil two quarts of water in a big pan. While the water heats up, peel and chop the onions and carrots. Chop the celery, including the leafy part.

Add the ham bouillon to the boiling water. When it’s stirred in, add all of the other ingredients except the the pepper and the dried herbs (and the ingredients marked “hold aside.”)

Turn the stove down to the lowest heat and let the pot simmer. Stir now and then. After two hours, add the dried herbs and the pepper. Let the soup simmer for another hour. Turn off the heat and let it cool. After an hour of cooling, discard the ham bone and transfer the soup to a large bowl and refrigerate overnight.

You can serve it the same day you make it, but aging it overnight in the fridge improves the flavor.

The peas are usually cooked down to a creamy texture, but sometimes they’re still lumpy at this point. If they are, you can whirl the soup through a blender. Wait until the soup is completely cool before whirling.

When serving, garnish each soup bowl with the Canadian bacon, a dollop of sour cream, a few bites of cut-up cooked potato and the fresh parsley. Serve with rye, sourdough or whole wheat bread and butter. The soup and the bread together make a filling meal; no need for side dishes.

The soup freezes well. It’s hearty peasant fare, tastes yummy, and makes the house smell heavenly while it’s cooking. Enjoy!

[QUOTE=Sonia Montdore]

three or four tbsp ham bouillon (Penzey’s sells a good one)
Here’s a link to the Penzey’s. They call it soup base, noy bouillon as I said in the recipe.

http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/p-penzeyssoupbase.html

Thanks for the recipe, Sonia. It sounds delicious.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

Looking through that site, I’m amazed at the stuff we have that the States doesn’t. No Dad’s Cookies? No Wagon Wheels? No Juicy Fruit? No Chris & Larry’s Clodhoppers? No Corn Pops? No Hickory Sticks or Cheezies? No Vegetable Thins? No Cheez Whiz or Becel Margarine? No Shake & Bake or Bicks Pickles?

My entire childhood is weeping! I can’t imagine living without half the foods on that site.