Canadians, question about mobile internet?

Travelling to Canada for work next week. Would it be easy to buy a SIM card for data only services while I’m there?

(Funnily enough I had zero trouble doing this in Cambodia or Thailand for some reason the more the developed the country the less likely they have cheap data plans)

I don’t think it will be easy and it definitely won’t be cheap. I had a quick look at the big players I could think of off the top of my head (Bell, Rogers, Telus, Fido(owned by Rogers), Koodo(owned by Telus) and Virgin(co-owned by Bell))

Koodo was the only website I could easily find what you are looking for. I have no idea what a SIM costs. They had a prepaid plan for $15 and then a data “booster” which you could add. I could not find anything that offered a data only plan without a contract. That doesn’t mean they don’t exist, I just didn’t spend more than a couple of minutes looking per website.

It will also be highly dependent upon where you are in Canada. Your choices are going to be much more varied in Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal than they are in Flin Flon.

I would email the providers with what it is you are looking for and compare it to the Canada rates from your current provider. You may be further ahead roaming.

Good luck.

Our healthcare is amazing and despite our cellular services we remain one of the happier nations on the planet. Especially despite our cellular services.

Boils down to this. Whichever orifice you would least enjoy being desecrated by a rude stranger, well, cell service in Canada is like being desecrated in that orifice by a rude stranger.