Cancer frequency among young adults

I found out today that a friend(hadn’t seen her in about 4 mos) passed away from cancer. She was in her early 20’s. This now makes 4 girls my age that I know with cancer. One is in remission, two are still in treatment. Are cancer incidents rising among our age group?? Maybe in the last 20 years cancer causing agents have increased so much that by the time you are 20 it is easier to develop now. I don’t know, but it seems like too many people I know are getting it too early. Any thoughts??

Do you know what type of cancer it was?

Got some reliable stats at http://www.cdc.gov/nchswww/fastats/pdf/47_9t8.pdf. (You need Acrobat Reader to view it.)

Among those 15-24, years old, 4.5 out of every 100,000 people dies of cancer. It’s the 4th leading cause of death, after accidents, homicide, and suicide.

Among 25-44 year olds, 26.1 out of 100,000 dies of cancer. Just behind accidents.

Among those 45-64, cancer is the leading cause of death, with 244.7 deaths out of 100,000 people.

So it’s a lot more common among older people, but it’s not such an unusual way to go even among the young. And women (15-24) have a much bigger risk of cancer at that age than men.

-Quadell

I probably didn’t ask the question I wanted to, because I was kinda ticked off yesterday. I am 25 and from the years 16-24 I knew one person who had it. Now, in the last year, 4 people I know have been diagnosed. That’s the angle I was coming from anyway. Sorry about being vague. I know quite a few girls, but not 100,000.

Only knew one person who died at 30, he had been diagnosed at 27.

I don’t have any stats, but I know in my limited life experience it seems like I’ve seen an increase in cancer.
My nephew had leukemia at the age of three (okay childhood leukemia is not that uncommon. and he’s fine now at the age of 14)
My best friend was diagnosed with breast cancer at the age of 34,a month later her husband was diagnosed with colon cancer and died three months later at the age of 38. My paternal aunt had ovarian cancer and died at 40. An aunt through marriage had breast cancer at age 42. To top things off my husband just had a bladder cancer removed at 40, and he will have to be watched for the rest of his life. Cancer sucks!!!

I wonder if the increase in cancer causing agents in the environment has caused this. If everyone is exposed from birth, maybe this would explain the increase. What I mean is, if the levels had skyrocketed in the last 20 years, then 20 year olds would have a higher rate than 20 year olds did 20 years ago. However, those 20 year olds have been exposed for 20 years as well, and are starting to develop it. Older people, who would develop it anyway, wouldn’t see the change as much.
The above is total speculation, with no research at all, just some thoughts of mine.

It should not be hard to look up the statistics. I doubt that the numbers have gone up. In certain types of cancers the rates have gone up and down.Down at least in deaths due to some cures. Diagnostics are somewhat improved. Screening has improved for prostate cancer.

Sorry to go slightly off topic, but I’m 15 and recently aquired a bad sunburn on my face. A friend told me to be really careful, because at this age I’m most susceptible to skin cancer. Any truth to this?