Can't people recognize an obvious troll anymore?

I’m with Dio on this one. Not that I can be positive, but I’d be very surprised if Dynastic were sincerely (not just that stupid, but) that calculatedly, pointedly stupid (“Why would anyone oppose Barack Obama? He’s black and he wants to bring change! You’d have to be racist or rich to be against him.”, “I can’t be racist, I’m not white!” “What’s with all these accusations that Barack Obama is only half black?”, etc.).

Doesn’t strike me as a troll either, though I didn’t look at the thread before linked to it in this thread’s OP. There are tons of people who are really this stupid. The average board member just isn’t used to dealing with somebody of average intelligence.

True - we are a bunch of paragons aren’t we?:rolleyes:

You are always fucking wrong. Always. Yet you think insult is argument. You are the basest and lowest debater on board. You spend way too much time digging up childish insults while your arguments are drivel. It is time for you to go back on the ignore list where you belong. The tenor of the whole board is elevated when you are on the ignore list.

I’m thinking sock more than troll. Just a gut feeling.

Yes, I’ve heard the argument, though it is rare. As I said before, though, those who try to make the argument at least try to explain it. Dynastic did not present it in the typical, pseudo-intellectual manner that it’s usually presnted. He presented is as somebody pretending to be a black, liberal Obama suppporter would put it.

That occurred to me too.

Was this a response to my post (the one before yours)? I wasn’t trying to suggest that we SDMB members are of such intelligence that we rarely make significantly logical mistakes or that we don’t each have our own ridiculous views. I’ve seen tons of ridiculous views on this board. Many times I have written an OP only to realize that the ideas behind the thread were fundamentally flawed. I am often so embarrassed by the things that I have posted that I wish I could just retract them completely.

But let’s be real: even when our views are stupid, they are stupid in a much more nuanced way than those of Dynastic. The most left-wing, Afro-centric, anti-racist, pro-Obama member of this board would not endorse Dynastic’s views. Not even close.

It’s obvious, then, that Dynastic is not nearly at the same level of critical thinking as most SDMB members. Is he significantly dumber than the average American? Maybe. I’m skeptical of this proposition, however. His poor spelling and grammar make him seem very unintelligent, but really, tons of people can use language better than he can yet hold views which are barely more sophisticated or nuanced. He will learn to use language with time, so let’s focus on what he really thinks. This is what he believes, in plain terms:

• An election is a sort of once-and-for-all device. Once somebody is elected, stop criticizing that person.
  • All previous American presidents have been WASPs devoted to enforcing white superiority.
  • Obama wants to bring change, and Republicans are just stubborn WASPs who want to prevent change because it goes against their interests.
  • You can’t be racist unless you’re white.

My father has a master’s degree in Near Eastern Languages and Literatures and his political views are rarely more nuanced than this. He once told me that he thinks Global Warming is a liberal hoax being put on in order to bring more profits to a few select pro-environment companies. He said it with a straight face and with magnificent gravity. He makes fun of Asians for being good at Math.

Critical thinking is a rare faculty. We are much more refined, in terms of critical thinking, here at the SDMB than most other people are. Let’s be proud of this for a moment.

I’ve heard “stupid” people, both black and white, in real life, without any real sophistication or nuance involved make that argument.

You don’t think sub average intelligence people might ever visit here? When, by definition, its half the population ?

Pssst … that’s “median”.

Kthxbye

Bingo.

Seriously we really are in an ivory tower here, relative to most of the rest of the internet. Have a look at the IMDB forums someday; the Youtube comments section; hell, the comments section of any news article. That, my friends, is what is the norm “out there.”

This guy is not a troll. He’s just someone who’s wandered in from “out there.”

(And the median is one kind of average, others being the mean and the mode).

What does a grass strip have to do with it ? Road less travelled or something?

This is extremely funny, and quite true.

That’s why it’s important to have people like Dynasty and gonzomax around - so we can see how the bottom half of the intellectual spectrum operates.

Damn! Second place again!

Regards,
Shodan

I’m a tough act to follow, seemingly. :stuck_out_tongue:

If it’s any consolation, gonz’ old buddy, you at least aren’t a troll. Just an ignorant moron. Feel free to put me back on your ignore list. I’m unsure why, given I’m the ‘basest and lowest debater on the board’ you would have felt compelled to take me off of it, to be honest. For my part, I won’t be putting you on MY ignore list (which, come to think of it, doesn’t have anyone on it), since I find your own posts highly entertaining, espeically when I can see how uncomfortable some of them make folks purportedly on your side.

-XT

Anymore? When the hell has this board EVER been able to recognize a troll? If you don’t include a smiley with even the most obvious of sarcastic comments, people WILL take you seriously around these parts.

I’ve met tons of people who think that an election basically makes him King and don’t understand how people are even allowed to oppose him.

Anyone who has a problem with him (if he indeed is not white as he says) is RACIST. Intolerant. Not respecting diversity.

Liberals would be the first ones to castigate someone as racist for disagreeing with a non-white person, so the shoe fits, and they have to wear it.

How do you explain the fact that no liberals on this board agree with Dynastic then?

Are you referring to Obama or Bush?

Um, wtf? Example?

racism.