Capitol of Thailand?

Apparantly the capitol of Thailand is not Bangkok but is something like Krungthep, having gotton into a argument with most people on the matter :(, could some one clear this up for me please?

Thanks

It’s still the same city. Apparently only the name got changed.

Actually, it didn’t change, exactly. Further research reveals that Krung Thep is what native Thais call it.

From this site

Fez.

Yeah, I think it comes down to what the official capitol is, what the foriegners call it, or what the Thia them-selves call it, what do you think?

The Thais call it Krungthep, and Bangkok to them is the name of one small precinct within Krungthep. For some reason, English-speakers latched onto the name Bangkok for the entire city.

Krung Thep does sound a lot more appealing than Bangkok.

That is a meaningless question. The city is not the name it is given. The capital is not a word, the capital is a city which you can call by different names in different languages.
Your question is like asking whether you sit on a chair or chaise or silla. You sit on an object which is called by different names in different languages and all are correct. In any case the word is capital, not capitol.

So in other words, Los Angeles, Thailand.

It ain’t Peking no more? :wink:

Actually from what I have heard , bejing is actually peking , only in chinese ,and I still call peking , peking and bombay instead of mumbai , they can call it anything they want.

Declan

Apparently the lost art of missing irony isn’t lost at all.

In this article, wikipedia claims the correct form to be

giving also some details about the name’s history. Seems that Bangkok was original name of the village whick was changed to Krung Thep when it became capital. There are some links to explain it further, although the correct spelling is hard to give bacause of transliteration issues.

The Great City, The Impregnable City,The Happy City…Ah yes That’ll be Manchester City FC then.

But not quite as accurate… :wink:

fezpp: You wouldn’t happen to know what those nine gems are?

Well, it’s sure beaten out La Ciudad de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Angeles de Porciúncula — but that’s still got to be the long name champion for the USA.

“Krung Thep! Oriental setting / But the city don’t know what the city is getting…”

Hmmm. I guess it still works.

“One night in Krung Thep Mahanakhon Amon Rattanakosin Mahinthara Ayuthaya Mahadilok Phop Noppharat Ratchathani Burirom Udomratchaniwet Mahasathan Amon Piman Awatan Sathit Sakkathattiya Witsanukam Prasit and the world’s your oyster…”

Maybe not.

It’s CAPITAL, not capitol! Sorry, this annoys me no end.