Captain Kangaroo video: "Changing of the Guard"

Every now and then Captain Kangaroo had some cool videos on his show.
Actually, he could have some weird ones, also, but, I can’t remember them right now.
So, I am remembering one them; some of the words were "Here’s Alice! The Changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace.’ He would show it every now and then. It had clips of I can’t really remember, but, it did show some clips of the Palace guards.
So, does anybody know where it can be found?

Thanks,
hh

The poem is by AA Milne

Not the video you’re looking for, but kind of neat song

I remember the poem and the video. The YouTube version has the same melody, but the Captain’s was sung by a chorus of men.
I never quite got the line about the socks. A British reference, a bit of off-the-wall nonsense, or what?

I always thought of it as Milne being Milne, and making the rhyme the important thing. Frex, here’s the beginning of the poem Eeyore wrote as a farewell to Cristopher Robin (at the end of The House at Pooh Corner).

POEM

Christopher Robin is going
At least I think he is.
Where?
Nobody knows.
But he is going.
I mean, he goes (to rhyme with knows)
Do we care? (to rhyme with “where”)
We do.
very much
(I haven’t got a rhyme for that “is” in the second line yet. Bother.)
(Now I haven’t got a rhyme for “Bother.” Bother.)
Those two Bothers will have to rhyme with each other.
Buther.

I have been looking for it too but no luck … Also other songs from the show like Jack & the Beanstalk, Little cat and mouse and the little red hen…
great memories…

“Little Cat and Mouse” was the one I immediately thought of. I seem to recall that it was shadow puppets? And I’m really annoyed that I can’t think of the original title of the song.

Wow…haven’t thought about that video (or that song) for decades, but now I remember it. :smiley:

The recording of “Buckingham Palace” (awkwardly titled “They’re Changing Guard at Buckingham Palace”) used on Captain Kangaroo is by Max Bygraves; it’s available on iTunes and, I suppose, other music download sites.

I was thinking about that video myself some months ago, and remembered the singer sounding an awful lot like Roger Whittaker of “Last Farewell” fame. So I went looking, and found the Bygraves recording.

I’ve been thinking lately about the video of kittens in a dollhouse with a song about one, two two little beds, one, two two sleepy heads…all quiet now in a little doll’s house

Captain Kangaroo was very influential in my young life.

and “There were ten in the bed and the little one said ‘Roll over! Roll over!’”

Mr. Rogers didn’t have songs about selfish bastards.

That clip is from SESAME STREET

It’s the military. That’s what sergeants do. While the King is signing things.
Kiss me goodnight sergeant major

Memory is a funny thing.

I watched Captain Kangaroo regularly for years when young. But when I pull up vids now, they are quite unfamiliar. I know it is a long time, but I would think that seeing the vids again would spark something inside my head.

I remember “Changing the Guard” on this show.

I used to love Captain Kangaroo. Mr. Rogers I could appreciate, but I never watched it. It was always too gentle and quiet for me even at a young age. Captain Kangaroo always had a little wackiness to it.

Bring on the ping pong balls!

Howzabout “Herkimer the Homely Doll”?

THANK YOU!!! When I was reading this thread the other day I thought of this, and tried searching for info on it. All I could remember was the name Herkimer and that it was a low-quality animation involving someone rescuing others from a fire. There was no mention of it on the Captain Kangaroo Wiki page, so I started thinking that maybe I had seen it on some other children’s show. I tried doing a Google search for “Herkimer” and all I got was references to Herkimer College, Herkimer Diamonds, and other irrelevant info. I was beginning to think that maybe I was misremembering the name. Also, for some reason I was associating it with Jack Gilford as the singer, but that was apparently wrong, as it was not listed as one of his credits.

At least now I know that I’m not having senile dementia and imagining things that only existed in another reality.

I’ve seen it spelled “Hercameyer” but don’t know which is correct. I don’t find a link to the video.