car AC question

My daily driver is a 2002 Saturn with 237K miles.

Over the summer the AC quit working. I diagnosed it and determined it was a failed compressor.

Removing the compressor was simple. I got a used one at the salvage yard for $30 and installed it.

I bought a couple cans of R134a (with oil) for $20 each and took the car to my buddy’s house. He pulled a vacuum and then charged the system. The AC has been working great ever since.

Moral of the story: if you’re lucky (simple fix), handy, and know the right people, it can be an inexpensive fix.

What did your buddy use to pull the vacuum? Was it something improvised or was he a mechanic with the right tools?

Based on my limited experience (total of about 5 weeks) of Hawaii weather, if cost were an issue I’d be tempted to go for a used car with defunct AC (assuming the price reflects that).

yeah, of course that is in my mind. but i’ve been there in the summer and sometimes it’s cool to have it. what i don’t mind is paint damage etc., although i would pretend to be concerned and have it reflect the price.

Here’s my buyer beware story (but it doesn’t involve Craigslist): I was looking for a cheap used car to supplement my pickup. Found a 1997 Ford Taurus at a dealership for $900. It looked right for the price, straight body, new tires, aftermarket stereo, PW, PL, power sunroof. Everything worked except the AC, which I didn’t really care about. It needed a new windshield which we priced out at the dealership at $300 installed so it became a $1200 car. The salesman even said he’d deliver it to my house which is over 30 miles away!! When he was driving it to my house, it started to get hot on him so he returned to the dealership. They figured it was a problem with the head gasket or the heads themselves. To make a long story short, I ended up with a 1997 Chrysler Town and Country. It seemed OK when I test drove it but had some excessive body roll. Never having owned a minivan, I just assumed that was natural. I soon found out how wrong I was. So far I’ve had replaced a broken rear leaf spring, rear wheel bearing, one tie rod end, shocks and struts, and tires. It still needs the transmission pan gasket and oil pan gasket replaced which are actually the cheapest things on the list. Oh, and the AC doesn’t work in it either. :slight_smile:

Just a vacuum pump and R134a manifold. (Plus a sniffer to look for leaks.)

He used to do AC for a living at a dealership, so he knew what he was doing and had the right tools.

The only drawback is that you installed a compressor that is the same age as the one that just failed! :wink:

I did nearly the same for my 1985 sports car, but found a rebuilt compressor online with a 1 year warranty. It cost all of $65.00, shipping included!