Car Activities for "Miss Daisy"

As a result of my husband’s bypass surgery 3 weeks ago, he has to ride in the back seat for another week and a half. Thursday, we’re heading for Asheville for the stepdaughter’s wedding. We’ll do 4 hours Thurs. and 4 hours Fri, stopping at least every hour to get out and stretch. What are some good things to have along that will entertain both of us? Some ideas: the question/activity cards from various games (Trivial Pursuit, Facts in Five, Cranium, etc.), dvds that he can watch on his laptop (of little fun for me!) Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Look for the game called “Mindtrap.” My friend and I played an entire box one weekend on a car trip. And in the hotel. And on the car trip back. And when we got home… :slight_smile:

Just out of curiosity, what is it about the surgery that makes your husband have to ride in the backseat?

Books on tape are standard backseat fare around here. You can stock up at a library or download from mp3books.com.

Ooh! We have that…good idea!

Ducktail: 3 reasons, really:

1. His sternum/ribs are still healing. If he were the driver or the passenger in the front seat and the airbag deployed, it could easily re-injure/crush his chest.

2. He’s taking Darvocet for pain management and shouldn’t drive.

3. After such a surgery, light-headedness, dizziness, unexpected side effects could occur, making it unsafe for him to drive. This last one is kind of vague; the first two reasons are the main ones.

To get the true Miss Daisy experience I suggest…

1. Telling the driver they are going too fast even if they are driving 20 MPH under the speed limit.
  2. Insisting the driver go on the street you want even if it’s out of the way.
  3. Randomly firing the driver.

I’m sure you can come up with more! :slight_smile:

Oh, I’m sure my husband has got plenty of those already lined up for me! He has never been a passenger in his life, if he could avoid it…let alone sit in the back seat! He can’t stand not being in direct control of the vehicle…especially when I’M driving. Should make for an interesting trip!