Car folks….Honda CR-V, Nissan Rogue, Mazda CX-5 ??

Getting a crossover SUV in the next few months and pretty much worked it down to the touring trim versions of the Honda CR-V, Nissan Rogue or Mazda CX-5.

All with AWD. Somewhat leaning towards the CX-5

Any experiences out there? Would love to hear them. I live in snow country so if anyone has thoughts on that would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance to all.

I have no experience with the other 2, but I bought a used CR-V for my daughter to drive. It has over 250,000 miles on it and runs like new. It’s well designed, comfortable and has all the features one would expect from a small SUV. I recommend it highly!

When we were looking to buy last year, neither my wife nor I liked the driving position in the Rogue or CX-5. My advice is to make sure you really feel comfortable in whatever you choose.

I’m watching this thread with interest. We’re leaning towards the Mazda.

We are the original owners of a 2008 CRV, and while we do not live in snow country, it takes us up to the snow weekly during the winter. The AWD works well, I have never lost traction - even when I tried to spin-out in 12 inches of snow in an empty parking lot (all-season tires, not snow tires). It has been a real trooper - very reliable - no problems. I wish the front seats were a bit more robust and larger, but otherwise a well put-together vehicle. Perhaps the new models have better seats.

I don’t know about the other two, but I don’t think you will go wrong with any of them. As kunilou stated, all other things being equal, make sure you are comfortable - that may be the deal-maker.

My wife has owned 2 CRV’s and liked them both. She has a Subaru Crosstrek now and prefers it to the Hondas. I’d seriously consider looking at Subarus if there’s a dealer in your area. IMHO, their AWD system is unbeatable and they typically have a lower MSRP that the other models that you mentioned.

I purchased a CX-5 last year, and I’ve been very impressed with it.

Both the Honda and the CX-5 are highly rated by Consumer Reports, and I think the Rogue would be too if it hadn’t been completely redesigned or something – the CR folks said there wasn’t enough data to rate it.

The highest-rated crossover by CR was the Subaru Outback, but in my neck of the woods it was more expensive than the other options, and I was worried about maintenance – there’s only one Subaru dealership near me, and it’s 30 miles away. The Honda and the Mazda are right behind it in their rating system.

My only reason for not getting the Honda CR-V was subjective; I didn’t like the redesigned rear. Otherwise I probably would have gotten it.

As a data point, in the 10 months I’ve owned the CX-5 (almost 17,000 miles), I’m averaging 27 mpg. That’s a combination of highway and city driving. No mechanical issues so far.

When we were comparing the Mazda to the Toyota Rav 4, I tried plugging my iPhone into the Mazda’s USB connection. All I kept getting were connection errors.

I did some research when I got home and basically found out that it doesn’t work even though they say it does.

If you’re considering the Honda CR-V, a new option is the Honda HR-V. I believe the CR-V is built on a Civic platform while the HR-V is built on a Fit platform.

I have around 25K on my 2014 CX-5 Sport AWD and I’m pretty happy with it. Overall I’m getting 28.3 mpg which includes commuting and multi-week road trips.

As far as the sound system goes, I’ve been able to play songs off my iPod touch via the aux port, bluetooth connection and the USB port–but I don’t know if an iPhone would work the same. That said, the base radio/CD player’s sound isn’t anything to write home about.

The stock tires (Yokahama GeoLanders) were just okay–I replaced them with some Goodyear all-season tires and the handling improved noticeably.

I’d take a look at a Subaru Forester before deciding. They may become your first choice after looking.

I believe I read that they fixed this problem.

I got turned off of Hondas a few years back because the fuckers refused to haggle on the price. Maybe they’re less proud nowadays, but back then, even when I showed them that the MSRP was a ridiculous price to pay, they wouldn’t budge.

That said, The one CR-V I owned gave good service for the few years I owned it. My nephew and his wife both have 1999 CR-Vs that are still going strong 16 years later.

How about a proper wagon? BMW 328d.

No experience with the AWD, but we looked at the 2014 version of all three of these vehicles, and we went (with zero regret) with the CX-5. The CR-V just didn’t feel right and seemed to lack any power. The Rogue was sharp, but the viewing angle through the rear window felt too narrow. We liked pretty much everything about the CX-5.

Apologies if this info is too out-of-date to be useful.

I have a 2010 Rogue I bought new and has almost 100k on it now. Absolutely love it. Still drives great with a smooth but responsive ride. Interior build quality has held up very well. I love the smooth CRV transmission as well. I plan on driving this car for many more years.

I had a hard time choosing between the Rogue and CR-V when I was looking. At the time, the deciding factor was the ride quality and the interior. The Rogue had a smoother ride and the interior seemed to be higher quality. No idea how current models compare though.

Either way, you’ll end up with a great car.

Have you ruled out Subaru (as mentioned, the Crosstrek or Forester)?

There’s nothing particularly wrong with any of them, the longevity of the Rogue’s CVT may be questionable over long periods of time but it’s unlikely that you will keep the car for that long. Only difference I can tell is that the CX5 and the Forester have a non-trivial advantage in ground clearance over the CRV and Rogue.

My last car was a 2001 CR-V and it was bulletproof (and Bullitt-proof!), solid, reliable and so very capable for the 222,000 miles I put on it. Here’s my ad in the SDMB Marketplace when I was selling it, including a link to pictures:

That car took me everywhere! I don’t think the OP can go wrong with any of his choices.

I ride regularly in a CR-V in a carpool. Yes, reliable, yes, good mileage, yes, will chug along in a variety of weather conditions. But the back seat is supremely uncomfortable… something I always take into account when car shopping, because you never know who you’re going to put back there. The owner’s main complaint is the wimpy Honda horn (judicious use of the horn as a warning device is a must here), but overall he’s happy with it.

The Mazda was #2 on our list on our last go-round; we ended up with a Durango.