Car sickness

Hello,
I have found this topic talked about in the archive, and wanted to comment on it but somehow it wouldn’t let me add a comment. So I decided to post it here (BTW - is it possible to comment on topics posted in the archive?). The question was what causes car-sickness and in the answer the person said that it is because of the interaction of the eye and the ear, and when we see we are in motion but we know our BODY is not actually moving, the brain gets confused. Now, howcome I get car sick only when sitting in the back seat and can’t see out? The person that answered the question recommended that car-sickness can be avoided by closing your eyes. Now, in my case, closing my eyes or not being able to see out makes it worse. I need to see out, possibly straight ahead. How can you explain this?
Thanks.
dialectgirl

I get carsick even with my eyes closed too. Music through walkman headphones (not the car stereo) seems to help. The only thing that makes it go away is to lie down, but I can’t do that with my seatbelt on. It’s not the tv/movie carsickness either, it’s just extreme dizziness, not nausea.

Generally, the idea is to sit in the front and watch the road as if you were driving. Also watch the driver, so you can anticipate the G forces. I think the “eyes closed” bit would only work when the car is driving along a tree-lined road with heavily dappled sunlight (that can induce car-sickness).

Motion sickness is mostly a serious disagreement between your eyes and your vestibular system, which senses movement. So if you feel like you’re moving, but you’re not seeing that, this makes you nauseous. (I actually get the opposite problem when working on a microscope, which I do pretty often - I’m seeing motion but not feeling it, and this makes me carsick while sitting still in a small dark room in my lab!) The best way to stop it is to try to get your two senses to agree with each other; I find that the best way is to be the driver, but the second best is to sit in the front seat or the middle of the back, so you can see out the windshield.