Car/Truck Question: New Key from Locksmith won't start Pickup ?

One of our cars has a non-duplicable key that has a chip in it. While only one key is needed for all the locks, and a duplicate will work for the doors and trunk, it will not start the engine. I found this out by asking a locksmith to duplicate it, and being told that as far as the ignition went, the key would fit in the lock fine, but still not be able to start the car.

You have to go to the dealer for that type of key and it’ll cost anywhere from $50 to $100. And that’s just to get another key, mind you, not to produce a new key or lock when you’ve lost your only copy.

It’s not a Chip Key though – I just drove it to the gas station at the corner of my block, holding the key in place somewhere between full turn in the ignition (start) and backwards to where it shuts off – so I turn 100% to start it, then back maybe 10% of the way to keep it running. If I turn it back enough, even the brake, engine, and oil lights turn off (but the blinkers don’t work!). My forearm was actually sore by the time I got back to my apartment from the muscles in my arm staying flexed while keeping the key in the right spot. I should be able to drive it this way to a mechanic though, any estimates on cost?

This is now a hijack since this is not the type of key in the OP, but my dealer told me not to lose the keys because it couldn’t be replaced. They would have to replace the entire key system, running into the thousands.

What kind of car was this on?

**First to the Hijack: **
Is this a Toyota?
'Cause that was once true, now a properly motivated and equipped locksmith can make a mechanical key, pull the ECM have the ECM chip reflashed and reinstalled. Most locksmiths have to send of the ECM to get reset so it a couple days to get a new key made.
At one time, Before someone figured out how to reflash the ECM the dealerships were the only people who could do anything and it involved replacing all the locks and ECM.

Now for the OP.
To make a key to a ford ignition does not require the removal of the switch at all. Which is good because getting them out of the column is a bitch without a working key.
Also, I cannot think of any Ford Ignition that has a return spring. The spring action you feel when the key is turned is actually placed on the tailpiece of the ignition lock by a gear located in the column itself.
I will ask our automotive locksmiths at work today and see if they have any suggestion or ideas as to what the problem is.

Osip

Deleted post

Ok talked to one of the other locksmiths… If you look under the dash, there should be a rod running down into a white box. That is the electronic ignition box. That should be where your problem is. You can call around various auto stores and see what the price of the unit runs and should be no problem to replace.
Osip

Thanks Osip, will do!

let me know how it turns out