Cashiers, don't ask for my phone number!

At Babies R Us when you go to check out the cashiers always ask for your phone number.

And the most amazing thing to me is that people actually give it to them!

I always stare at them and just say “no.”

Why should I publically call out my personal informaiton for everyone in line to hear? Why is it the store’s business anyway?

It’s just to put you on a mailing list and track your purchases. Creepy.

If everyone refused to give theri phone numbers, thiss obnoxious practice would stop.

What other stores do this?

Radio Shack. I just always tell them (555) 555-5555.

I’ve got my phone number on my checks. Whenever they ask me for a second one (happens every month or so), I just make one up.

Nobody’s ever called me, by the way, and I’ve been bouncing checks for 20 years.

Tuesday Morning, Radio Shack and Ikea ask for my telephone number. I don’t mind giving it to them because I don’t answer my telephone if the number says Out of Area on the caller id box.

I figure the poor cashier doesn’t want to ask me for it anyway so why make them feel worse by telling them no?

I use a random area code and 555-1212. It’s only the information, and by using different area codes I figure I’m messing with their demographics, at least in a small way.

I do the same thing when they ask for a zip code - I use the one I had in college, approximately 1200 miles from where I am now.

Are you joking?

I always tell them it is 123-4567

Then the cashier smiles knowingly (I don’t want to give my number) or demands I give them a “real” number. If they ask for a ‘real’ number I ask them if they are calling me a liar.

Seems to work.

Just ask for theirs in return.

Works really well if they’re cute.

I just tell them “I’d prefer not” and have never had anyone express a problem with that.

Well, not, like, every single check I write bounces, but I’ve bounced several checks a year for 20 years, and I’ve never gotten called.

Oh, and I’m also serious about making up the second number.

I’ve always liked telling them either
328-7448
or
382-5968.

Just a bit of passive-aggressive humor that no one ever gets.
:wink:

carrot - I don’t get it.

Unless, of course, they know about this site.

I once gave my phone number to a Home Depot cashier. She ended up stalking me for five months.

True story.

What Legomancer said - I always say “I prefer not to give that information out” and I’ve never had the cashier say anything but “ok.”

Diane

Eat shit and fuck you.

Not personally, I mean. That’s what the numbers spell.

I hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate it when the goddamned marketing department of some fucking corporate chain store decides that it would be just a rosy, lovely, bottom line padding idea to ask all of their patrons their phone number! Let me say this in no uncertain terms: You do not need my phone number to conduct a cash transaction. All you need is my cash. That’s it. I’ll say it again. YO! CORPORATE FUCKWADS! YOU CAN’T HAVE MY PHONE NUMBER! makes me so goddamn motherfucking mad…grrrrr…

::vibrotronica vibrates with rage::

But, Juanita’s right. There’s no reason to take it out on the poor wage slave behind the counter. It’s not his or her fault.

OK. Here’s what we have to do. It’s easy. Give them a fake phone number, but not one that’s obviously fake. Choose a real exchange. Hell, give them the Better Business Bureau’s number, or City Hall, or, if you’re very industrious, give them their corporate headquarters number. The point here is that we must feed enough noise into their database to make their data useless. That way you drain resources from the company, who is, after all, paying for the data mining, etc., and spare future generations from the same indigity. If it doesn’t work, they will eventually stop doing it.

Hee hee…Ethilrist, that’s kind of a nifty site.

And to think, I’ve been doing all my decoding from phone numbers by hand.
:smiley:

Let me just say Radio Shack that there is Radio Shack a certain store, Radio Shack the name of which Radio Shack I won’t mention, which in my Radio Shack opinion is the worst Radio Shack offender in this regard.

Have you seen the clerks at Radio Shack?