Casseroles for the bereaved

On buns, usually. Though I’ve been known to just have a scoop of chicken by itself.

Those mini buns are a great thing, so that someone can have just a very small sandwich. There are times when it’s so hard to commit to anything bigger. It’s hard for some people to eat when grieving, so something unintimidating can be good.

Isn’t it a bit hot for lots of heavy food that has to cook in the oven for an hour? Maybe they would like something like a pasta salad, and cut up fruit.

That kind of stuff lasts a week in the fridge if its good and fresh.

Maybe it’s just too warm where I am, but ATM the idea of defrosting and eating a heavy baked ziti (which I normally LOVE) is somewhat sickening.

Here’s one we like - I’ll periodically fix a bunch of cooked chicken and freeze several “kits”. It’s something they could have right away or they could freeze and have later on - plus no need to worry about returning a pan or whatever. None of the measurements need to be too exact - e.g. I just dump a can of whatever tomatoes / green chilies the store has, a 16 oz jar of salsa, etc. And any mix of beans works as well.

Sante Fe Chicken (from 30 Day Gourmet)
Servings: 10

Ingredients:

Cooked & chopped chicken 3 cups
Canned corn, drained 15 oz
Black beans, drained/rinsed 15 oz
Back-eyed peas, drained 15 oz
Pinto beans, drained 15 oz
Ro-Tel tomatoes 12 oz (or whatever size you find)
Picante sauce / salsa 15 oz
Chili powder 1 Tablespoon
Cumin 2 teaspoons
Shredded cheddar cheese 1 cup

Assembly Directions:
In a large bowl, mix together the chicken, corn, black beans, black-eyed peas, pinto beans, tomatoes and picante sauce. Add the chili powder and cumin, stirring until evenly mixed.

Freezing Directions:
Put mixture in a one-gallon freezer bag. Put the shredded cheddar in a quart freezer bag. Seal, label and freeze both bags.

Serving Directions:
Thaw both bags. Pour the bag of chicken mixture into a spray-treated 9x13 pan. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees, or until heated through. Remove foil. Top with shredded cheese. Bake an additional 10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.

We love this one. Pampered Chef recipe, baked in a bundt pan. Keeps very well, and easy to just slice off what you want. It’s kind of a ground beef thing, surrounded by cornbread. I mix some extra cheddar into the cornbread:

Tamale Round-About

Ingredients Needed:

Filling
2 1/2 cups cooked Ground beef or 1 1/4 pounds Lean (90%) ground beef
1/2 tsp Chili powder
1/2 tsp Ground cumin
1/4 tsp Salt
1 jar (16ounces) thick and Chunky medium salsa
1/4 cup Red or Green bell pepper (Or combination of both) Chopped

Corn Bread
1 1/2 cups All-purpose flour
1 cup Yellow cornmeal
1/4-1/3 cup Sugar
1 Tbls baking powder
1/2 tsp Salt
1 1/4 cups Milk
2 Eggs
1/4 cup Vegetable oil
4 ounces Sharp cheddar Cheese, shredded (1 cup)

Sour Cream (optional)
Cooking Instructions:

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Generously spray Stoneware Fluted Plan with nonstick cooking spray. For filling, place ground beef in skillet. Sprinkle with seasonings. Stir in salsa. Cook over medium-low heat 5 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, chop bell pepper using Food Chopper; sprinkle in bottom of pan.

3. For corn bread, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt in a separate bowl. Add milk, eggs, and oil; stir until dry ingredients are moistened. Stir in cheese.

4. Spread 1 1/2 cups batter evenly over peppers in fluted pan. Top with filling and remaining batter, spreading evenly.

5. Bake 35-40 minutes or until top is lightly browned. Loosen corn bread from edge and center of pan with knife. Invert onto Simple Additions Large Square. Slice into 16 wedges. Serve with sour cream, if desired.

I’m not a great source of recipes, but I have a tip for freezing liquidy foods…put it in a good freezer ziploc bag and freeze it flat. It thaws MUCH faster.

Cherry2000 that sounds really good but I’m having trouble imagining it. Does the cornbread surround the meat filling or end up on the top? (Assuming you place the cornbread batter in the bottom of the bundt pan.) Isn’t it kind of thick? Got a picture?