Cat Lovers: What Do Cats Remember?

My younger cat can’t seem to remember that sitting on the edge of the tub while my son is having a bath is a Bad Idea.
The edge of the tub gets wet and slippery, and claws have no traction on wet porcelain. You’d think after falling in the tub two or three or ten times, he’d remember not to do that. :stuck_out_tongue:
But like tomndebb’s cat, both my cats remember the sound of the laser pointer key chain.

Oh, yes. Our neutred male cats mount each other occasionally too - especially when they’re looking outside through the patio doors. I think it’s a show of dominence. They don’t want to ruin their rep among the neighbourhood cats, so they’re ‘showing off’ :smiley:

ladydisco: So the mounting isn’t necessarily a sexual behavior? Here’s the weird thing about dominance, though: when my cat Thomas was alive, he was King of the Mountain. A former street fighter and scrapper extraordinaire, at his largest, he weighed 28 pounds, a solid 12 pounds heavier than any of the other cats, and he wore it well. He ate first; when the other cats fought, he’d break it up with extreme prejudice; he slept on my head and prevented the other cats from waking me up (I know this b/c after he died, Dolphie went through a phase where SHE slept on my head but would wake me up at 5am for no reason).

Anyway, Thomas was the King, but rather often, Harley, Shadow, and Achmed would mount him (jump on his back and bite his neck). He had a very wussy meow for such a big, tough guy, and he’d mewl until they got off him. What does that indicate as a dominancy activity?

Sorry about the hijack, but what the heck, it’s my OP, right?

Brechin, my parent’s current cat remembers me even though I’m only home for about 1 week a year.

We’ve had cats that don’t remember really obvious thing like:

Don’t roll over on the top shelf of the cat perch (6 feet off the ground) – kitty goes splat.

Don’t run across the living room, onto the sofa, then jump up on the half wall at top speed. The halfway behind the sofa has the stairs on the other side. --kitty goes splat

Don’t jump on top of doors, kitty hit door with horizontal momentum and door closes on kitty – kitty goes splat

See a trend here?

CRorex: Yes, I see a trend-- that my cats are smarter than yours :wink:

Thomas, fat as he was, used to sit on the tops of doors with great success. He looks weird b/c his fat sides would hang down over the edges of the door, but he never lost his balance or caused the door to close on his love handles.

Of course my cats have varied widely in their IQs–Dolphie is dumb as a box of hammers, but Ruby was a Dorothy Parker who idolize Dolphie for some reason known only to her; Streaker was the Lenny Bruce of cats, Thomas was more like a late-career Muhammad Ali.

CRorex: Yes, I see a trend-- that my cats are smarter than yours :wink:

Thomas, fat as he was, used to sit on the tops of doors with great success. He looked weird b/c his fat sides would hang down over the edges of the door, but he never lost his balance or caused the door to close on his love handles.

Of course my cats have varied widely in their IQs–Dolphie is dumb as a box of hammers, but Ruby was a Dorothy Parker who idolized Dolphie for some reason known only to her; Streaker was the Lenny Bruce of cats, Thomas was more like a late-career Muhammad Ali.

Our older cat, Smudge, seems to be able to remember quite a few different things, with or without patterns.

The young 'un, Sandy, on the other hand … We used to think that it was just because she was a kitten, but she’s full-grown now. She evidently has one single brain cell, as it takes her about thirty seconds to forget everything that has ever happened in her entire life.

Cats who jump up on the dinner table at mealtime are locked up. Smudge learned this many, many years ago-even if she’s very hungry, she’ll do no more than sit on the floor and meow. Sandy is very easy to deal with-set the main dish on the table, wait a few seconds for her to notice, then catch her in mid-jump as she heads up to check out the wonderful smell. Every single night! And she doesn’t like being locked up, either-but the next day, she evidently has completely forgotten yesterday’s punishment. Positive and negative reinforcement training have no effect on a creature with one brain cell … We tried water guns, locking her up for a few minutes and letting her out to see if she’ll behave-nope. She’ll stay away for a few minutes, then she’ll completely forget why she’s doing that and try to jump up on the table again. We finally gave up-we still give her the one chance, but after that, she’s locked in the utility room until the meal is over. Which, as I said, ends up happening pretty much every night.

I have 3 cats. One is the mother of the other two. I often find the mother and one of the sons licking each other, but I don’t ever see the two sons licking each other. It could be a sign of motherly love, or something. On the other hand, the mom is very protective of her territory, as if she’s well aware that she is the mother and her sons have to submit to her. When she’s on a pillow or under a bed, she’ll usually hiss and growl until the other cat goes away.

A more specific example… we brought Jake home from the shelter a few weeks before Christmas, and he was absolutely tiny - so young his eyes were still blue. For Christmas that year, my grandmother sent us a plastic grand piano (about the size of a shoebox) that plays a Gershwin tune and has magnets under the lid that make two dancers spin and occasionally lurch around the lid as though it were a dance floor. This was, of course, a great cat toy and Jake played with it for a day or two before it was put away. The piano was invariably on a certain spot on the floor in the dining room.

One year later, we bring the piano back out of the Christmas storage box and set it up on the kitchen table. Jake is in the kitchen with us. We start the music up. Jake looks at the piano for a moment, watches the dancers spin, and then runs over to the dining room, to the spot on the floor where it had been an entire year earlier, and starts sniffing around.

I think there might be something to this auditory memory vs. visual memory thing.

My cat knows that it hates the kitty carrier and it knows where the kitty carier is kept (on a high shelf). If I go any where near that shelf he runs and hides. He definitely has a memory that goes back at least 2 years (the longest I have gone without pulling the thing off the shelf).

He also quotes his favorite movies . . .

DaLovin’ Dj