Cat Stuff

Don’t have any other cats. Hannah was the junior member of a pair. Alas, everyone gets old and dies.
I’m gonna take her to the vet in saturday.

I hope the vet can help; sometimes minor illnesses can make them do stuff like that. I used to put boxes to block B.W. from her favorite places to use (outside of the litterbox) and that seemed to keep her in line. Changing the litterbox every day might help, too; they can get fussy. B.W.'s been a perfect lady once I got her away from the other cats (they used to chase her away from the litterbox, so I can understand her reaction).

During my childhood we had a small calico cat named Jo-Jo. She bore five kittens. She had the strangest tastes in food of any cat we ever had. She would eat dog food, fresh-caught fish, candy, cake, bread, ice cream, cereal–just about any kind of people food. The only food she would not eat was cat food. :smiley:

That’s funny. One of mine, an 18-month-old neutered male, steals Beanie Babies from the girl’s rooms and drags them (or carries them, Mommy-Cat style) into the kitchen and leaves them by the food bowls. We’ve decided he thinks they’re hungry.
Cats are so funny!

my old bestest kitty, no nads nick, wuz so smart and cool. he was an orange tom, he weighed over 20 pounds and wasnt fat, and he lived to be 22. he could open the storm door, he would stretch up, whack at the button with his right paw until the door popped, hook the open door with his left paw, and he wuz in. damn i miss that cat. oh yeah, he was unceremoniously tossed out the door every night, rain, snow, didnt matter, by my hardass dad. didnt seem to affect him too adversely. one day, my mom looked out the window on a winters day, and saw nnn making his way across the back yard, and the wind blew him over. she knew it wuz time and called the vet to come over and put him down. when the vet came, nickie KNEW. it is the most chilling thing i ever heard, but nick ran over to mom, and tried to get in her lap (he had never done that, ever, he wasnt a lapcat), and looked at her, and cried. he knew and he didnt want to go. i cried for an hour when i heard that story.

Dogs are from Pluto. Cats are from Uranus.

We have had cats since…well, we’ve never not had cats.
40 years worth since I came into the picture.
With all that experience it seemed odd that for two whole years our big kitty, Theodore, 20+ pounds, walked right past the aquarium, seemingly totally oblivious to it.
We had lots of fish over the years, and never had trouble with cats getting into the tanks…but they were very tuned into them.

At the time we had a couple of tablespoon sized Oscars in the tank. If any of you don’t know, Oscars are not generally timid. They readily eat out of your fingers once they get used to you.
These two were bold enough to jump about 2 inches out of the water to get a bit of frozen brine shrimp from the tip of a finger. Two fingers would usually make them balk.

One day while tending the tank, I grabbed Theo as he was doing figure-8s around my legs, and, figuring his head to be much larger than two fingers, hoisted his lard-butt up to the rim for a good looksee at the little guys inside.

This same move in the past had resulted in cats that would sit and stare/bat at the tank for hours…or walk back and forth behind the tank, knocking the heater sideways.

This time though, the Oscars, thinking it was feeding time, dashed to the top and froze right at the surface, just as Theo’s eyes locked on. We stood there transfixed for a good 5 seconds, nothing moving but fins and whiskers.
Theo was impressed…Until both fish suddenly jumped out and whacked him right in the face.
We were both pretty surprised, especially since he’d never been declawed.

Oddly, he never seemed to need another look.

You’ll be happy to know however, that he got his revenge late one night by nudging a HUGE alarm clock off the headboard onto my face.

Another bathroom story. Our youngest cat, Livestock, seems to think it is not an official shower for a human in our house unless he has leaped into the showerers arms following the bathing.

My family is used to it, but guests can be somewhat disconcerted.

She will not leap into arms anyplace else. And generally will avoid non-family members anyplace else.

(He got the name because we live in a rural area and the farmers and ranchers are always talking about their livestock and we wanted to say things like “oh yeah, our Livestock is doing OK,” or “We’re having a little trouble with our Livestock. May have to have the vet out.”)

Best cat book ever–“All My Patients Are Under the Bed” by Dr. Louis Camuti. If you haven’t read it, you should. Delightful book. It is the memoirs of a cat veteranian who makes house calls. May be out of print but can be found in almost all used bookstores.

Livestock is a she not he (just in case she reads this post- you never know with cats!)

Memories…my screen name was still Michelle and I only had 4 cats…