Cataract surgery

Binocular vision again!

Got my left eye done yesterday. No clothing came off in the course of this operation, nor did I need an IV of any sort. There was a basic level EKG monitor that attached to my hand, tons of drops in the eye, and the injection, which was the worst part of all this. The operation was short and painless.

My eye test today showed 20/25 in that eye and I’m not wearing glasses now, since my right eye prescription is very mild. Everything is very bright and no longer sepia-toned. The right eye will be done in a couple of weeks. All-in-all, I’m very pleased with the outcome, although I’ll still need reading glasses.

I had mine done a year and half ago and it is amazing. my only problem is I developed a “floater” that is annoying. it has faded some but has not gone away as the doctor promised. small annoyance overset by how well I can see. No prescription glasses no contact lenses etc. My Dad ended up not having to have to wear glasses at all, I have to wear reading glasses and my Mom has some prescription glasses. She had to have laser surgery because her corneas were delaminating. Fortunately, we have in Memphis one of the best eye surgeons (rated in the top 10 by other eye surgeons) so we are all three doing good.

Update - got my left eye roto-rootered yesterday, got the patch off about 2 hours ago. My left eye is now 20-20 and I have gone all day yesterday and today without glasses. Absolutely amazing!

Folks, if you are putting off having cataract surgery done…don’t. The difference is astronomical.

I had both done, and by the time they got done medicating me, the surgeon could have said “I’ve decided to go in thru the rectum to minimize scarring” and I would have cheerfully consented. “Relaxed” is not the word for it.

I did have a suture in one eye. I couldn’t feel it when it was in, and when the surgeon (who was apparently 14 years old, but still very good) decided to remove it, I couldn’t feel it after it was out. He put some drops in the eye, and then just went bing-bing and it was out. Just with forceps and little bitty scissors. His hand-eye coordination is phenomenal.

It is really remarkable - I went from 20/300 in one eye and 20/350 in the other (which is legally blind) to 20/40 and 20/45. I need reading glasses, but I can wake up and see what time it is without even squinting.

And I can see how beautiful my wife looks like before she puts on her make-up in the mornings.

Regards,
Shodan

Hehe. I guess that’s the main advantage of having Dougie Howser-- the reflexes haven’t been ruined by a life of dissipation…yet.

You, sir, are a sweetheart.

I had my one good eye done a while back, and when I walked out the door I told Zyada “Hey! Trees got leaves!”

I had it done by Dr. Who(*), and never saw him again. At every checkup I had to restrain myself from asking what century he was visiting this time. At the one-month checkup I read 20/20, which pleased the doctor almost as much as it pleased me. Unfortunately I lost my microscopic vision and need reading glasses, but it’s certainly worth it.

(* He’s Asian and spells the name “Hu” but my version is funnier.)

“Who did your eyes?”
“Hu”
“What?”
“No, Hu”…

Great to hear about the eyes, OP. God is good. :stuck_out_tongue:

Follow-up visit with the eye doc yesterday. 20-25 right eye, 20-20 left. Astigmatism reduced from 1.75 right to .75, 2.0 to .5 left. I’m probably going to wind up getting one last pair of no-line bifocal glasses that will be neutral on top and reading strength on the bottom.

that is great but I am curious why do you want bifocals like that instead of reading glasses. I buy readers for as cheap as $1.00 so if I lose them or break them etc. I am out very little. of course you van buy readers like you described without going to an optometrist so maybe that is what you mean.

I’d guess it’s because he reads often enough that swapping them on and off is annoying. As for breaking - I’ve worn glasses since 4th grade and (knock wood) have yet to break a pair.

My left is 20/25, and I’ll find out what my right is next Wednesday after surgery. My eye doc recommended getting a pair of corrective lenses to use for night driving and to avoid eye fatigue on long trips, which I’ll likely do. I’m using readers now. Hopefully the right eye will be 20/20 so I don’t need computer glasses.

Excellent. :cool:

Congrats to all. Had mine done in July. Took a while to adjust to better vision. Depth perception is back. As others said once I could see I got a correct prescription for my glasses.

Had the second surgery today. The eye is open, but after an hour, things are very blurry out of that eye, almost like having a clear cataract. I’m hoping this is temporary. Weird: during surgery, I could feel a burning in the eye when the doctor was doing his thing. I never felt a thing with the first one.

Follow-up exam yesterday and I have 20/20 in my right eye. Huzzah!

Bumping a sort of oldish thread, but just came in to say that AT LAST!!! I am scheduled for surgery on my left eye, on 12 March.

It is going to be done under general anesthesia. I’m not sure why, but I assume it’s because I’m at high enough risk of complications that they want to be able to deal with problems without delay, should any arise during the procedure. That means that I had to get a total check-up to make sure I’m healthy enough to withstand GA…and I’ve passed quite nicely.

With luck, I’ll be posting my post-op experiences here mid-March sometime.

You might want to ask them why they’re using a general instead of a local, instead of guessing at it. It’s enough out of the ordinary that it raises red flags for me.

Oh, I’ll confirm, just to be sure. But with all my eye problems,* and the discussions/treatments I’ve had so far, I’d probably have been more concerned if it was planned under a local.

*pathological myopia and posterior polar cataract. I hate to be a special snowflake, but … my eyes really are “special.” When I was a kid I was told I’d be blind by the time I was 40. I’m quite happy that this prediction proved false (I’m 55 and saw reasonably well with corrective lenses until the last 18 months or so), although it is getting worrisomely closer to true these days.

An update - I did indeed get my no-lines and they’re great. I didn’t like having to take the reading glasses from Walgreen’s off and put them back on again, over and over, and actually lost a pair of them. This way, I’m back in my old comfort zone of having glasses on all day, even thought the top half of them is pretty much neutral.

Good for you! I hope everything goes well. You’ll be astounded by the difference.