Cataract surgery

Still waiting for mine to show up. Should be this week.

Bumping the oldish thead again…

Happy to report that surgery #1 was a big success. The GA was due to both concerns over complications (which thankfully did not arise) and because the shape of my eyes is so abnormal that the doctor said he wouldn’t know exactly where he was going if he tried to do an injection for local anesthesia.

I had an unusual reaction to one of the medicines, apparently, and so my pupil in the operated-on eye was a pinhole for several days, meaning I could see beautifully in bright light but was noticeably night blind. The doctor was surprised but not concerned, and this problem is becoming less pronounced every night (during the day I don’t notice it - at night I can still tell that my left pupil is slow to enlarge in order to make the most of the limited available light).

I’m absolutely thrilled. My right eye is tentatively scheduled for 7 May. It’s the riskier eye, but a lot less scary now that the left eye was successful. I admit I was a bit frightened before the left eye was done, because of all the complications that worried the doctor. But now, as he says, I have one eye “in the bank.” So while I hope for similar success in the right eye, even if things go wrong I have excellent vision in my left eye.

Wow, just…WOW. I know that my underlying eye problems are still there, and I’m still at high risk of retinal detachment/macular problems/etc - but it seems I’ve bought myself a few years of good vision at the very least, and maybe decades. I love modern medicine and good doctors at their finest.

i’m so glad to hear that everything went well!

hopefully righty will be so jealous of lefty that it will be a breeze. now that they know you are sensitive to one of the meds, will they use another?