Cataract Surgery

I had cataract surgery 2 weeks ago and now realize my doctor implanted the right eye lens in my left eye. Will this be a problem? If the lens are not different why are they labeled o.d. and o.s.

First, why do you think the doctor implanted the right lens in your left eye? Did you have surgery on both eyes simultaneously?

OD - Oculus dexter (right eye)

OS - Oculus sinister (left eye)

Why don’t you call your doctor and ask him the question, as to whether he mixed up the lenses?

Can you see clearly through them? If so, I don’t see any reason that you should worry about it.

I had cataract surgery and I am puzzled about this. It’s rare for them to do both eyes at once (not unheard of through) and how would you know if they were reversed, other than having blurred and unsatisfactory vision?

Moderator Action

Since this is a medical question, let’s move it to IMHO (from GQ).

I had my left eye done. I just noticed on the card they gave me that it says o.d.
I have seen my doctor twice since the surgery - one day post op and one week post op but just noticed the card Friday night… I mentioned to him that I still have a kind of double vision when I look at the eye chart- I see the letter and then part of the letter diagonally to the right- “It can take awhile…”

I am bumping this because the OP has not received a good answer yet. I don’t have one either.

It looks like there can indeed be a difference between right and left implants for many reasons but, I don’t know if there is an absolute difference. By that I mean that I don’t know whether each implant is made to be either only right or only left.

I would absolutely want to talk to my doctor about this. Just go to him with the card and ask.

On a related note, different agencies have been trying to get the medical field to do away with using terms like OD OS and OU.

I’m not sure if the OP gave enough information to get a useful answer. I haven’t had cataract surgery myself, but when I was the caregiver for my grandmother, she had cataract surgery on both eyes (one at a time, a number of months apart) in her mid-80s, and was in the room with her for each optometrist’s appointment pre- and post-surgery plus daily afterwards, so I know about as much about it as I can second-hand (the surgeries were only a minor help for her because she also had macular degeneration.) The artificial lenses didn’t allow for as much an adjustment for different light levels as before the surgery, so she needed to wear sunglasses whenever around bright lights (not just sunlight) and after each surgery she was provided with a zippered case for holding sunglasses, eye drops, lens cleaners, etc. Attached to the zipper of each bag was a windowed card holder holding a card giving all the information about that lens. I probably still have the tags around somewhere (grandmother is long gone) but don’t have them handy to look at what information is on them. While googling after the original post, unsurprisingly one of the first hits was for a thread here at the dope.

In the absence of more info, I still say if you can see clearly through the lenses (and there is no pain involved) then don’t worry about it.