Catholic bashing

What’s with this “According to the Pope a woman can be a saint but not a priest” sig?

There’s a hell of a lot weirder ideas than that in the catholic church, so why pick on this one?

Obviously the only reason is that it is not PC, so it pisses off feminists.

I’m sure the Pope truly believes in his religion. So you’re unhappy that he is chosing what he sees as his duty to God over something that is politically correct? Do you really believe that the Pope is secretly a misogynist and he is just doing this too oppress women?

Oh my, you must not have read MY sig line yet. Don’t leave me out of your desperate attempts to find a PC topic that will make you look intelligent and sensitive.

Too bad it won’t work.

I have as much authority as the Pope; I just don’t have as many people who believe it! - George Carlin

A young man gets a phone call from his friend, the priest. “I need you to fill in for me this weekend. I have a family emergincy.”

“Me?” the young man replies. “But I’m not ordained. I’m not even Catholic!”

“Don’t worry about it,” replies the priest. “All you have to do is take confession. There’s nothing to it. Just sneak into the confession booth before services start, and when the faithful come in, just read the lines in the manual.”

“Manual?”

“Yeah. Long ago, the Church wrote down all the lines for the fathers to use to take confession. It also has a handy Sin/Punishment index. Will ya help me?”

Finally, the young man agrees. That Sunday, he sneaks into the confession booth and looks around. Sure enough, there is a large tomb labeled The Official Confession for Dummies.

The first worshiper comes into the ajoining booth and says “Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. I was unfaithful with my wife last Tuesday.” Well, the young man looks, and sure enough, there is a listing in the index for infedelity. “Say twelve “hail Marys” and use 15 “our fathers” and go in piece my child.”

“Seems easy enough,” the young man thinks.

The rest of the moring goes by in a simular fasion:no matter what the sin, there is an answer in the index. Finally, a woman’s voice comes through explaining that her sin was performing oral sex on her boyfriend. The young man’s confidant manner evaporates as he realizes that there is no listing for oral sex in the index.

He leans out of the booth, and spotting an alter boy, he waves him over.

“Hey, kid, what do they give for a blow job?” he asks.

The alter boy replies “usually a Slurpy and two comic books.”

You say “cheesy” like that’s a BAD thing.

BenDover: I’ve been insulted many times, but no one has ever accused me of being “sensitive”.

Your slanderous accusations will not draw attention away from your feeble mind.

I am a Catholic.

I went to Catholic school.

I was married in a Catholic church.

I think my sig raises a valid question.

I have changed it in order not to piss any more people off.

I still think it makes a good point, though, and I won’t apologise for it.

It does, after all, merely state a fact.

Any conclusion that you draw are yours.

Oh, I’m sorry - I thought you were serious. I didn’t realize you were just looking for an excuse to flirt with Wally.

Now, about my “feeble mind”, let me tell you a thing or two . . .

Wait a minute, lost my train of thought.

What WAS I talking about, anyway?

I have as much authority as the Pope; I just don’t have as many people who believe it! - George Carlin

Sealemon,

That was not funny.

Well, maybe a little.

Okay, so it was funny.

Fuck, it was hilarious!

Millions long for immortality, yet don’t know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon.

Konrad, If my new sig fails to win your approval, please inform me.

I will change it again.

I have lots.

Have nice day.

Millions long for immortality, yet don’t know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon.

Hmm, I didn’t realize that Konrad was in charge of sig approval.

In any case, I saw nothing in Wally’s sig that could be construed as “Catholic bashing”. Unless disagreeing with Catholic policy is now automatically classed as Catholic bashing.

Couldn’t you find something to flame about that is actually offensive?

“The secret of life is, there ain’t no secret, and you don’t get your money back.”

As an escaped Catholic with a former nun mom and two great uncles who were priests, and 12 years of catholic schooling, I have to say the sig line in question did not offend me at all. I thought it very poignant.

I would have loved to bring that one up in religion class. Right after I asked, " When are we going to learn about other religions."

The answer, “There is only one religion.”

Me: “Ummm, then who’s fighting over in Israel?”

Don’t let him push you around, Wally. You go ahead and use whatever sig you want.

Hey I didn’t say I was insulted by .sig, I just thought it was dumb. Questioning the authority of the church may have been risque and avant garde back in the 30’s, when CkDextHavn was young, but now it’s kinda mundane.

Kat: Of course I’m in charge of .sig approval. Any .sigs not meeting my rigorous standards will be taken out and shot.

Wally: Better. Although it’s not as silly as one might have wanted. Try alternating between that and “My left buttock hurts.” for maximum effectiveness.

Konrad says:

Then Konrad says:

Let me be the first to say it: Konrad is a troll - a dumb troll, at that - just looking for a fight. What in the hell was the point of this topic, anyway? Konrad just felt the need to point out to everyone that, in his supposedly esteemed opinion, Wally’s sig line was dumb? I noticed that Konrad has a particularly witty and pointed sig line himself.

Konrad, you’re a jerk.

Konrad,

I don’t know you, but you strike me as an angry person with limited ideas.

Sealemon88 wrote:

You can fit a whole tomb inside one of those little confession booths? Wow. I had no idea the Catholics had access to Tardis technology.

The truth, as always, is more complicated than that.

Bendover: Wouldn’t it kind of defeat the purpose to troll in the BBQ pit? What the hell is wrong with you? You get angry because I complain about someone’s sig in the Pit? What the hell is the pit for?

You’re right. From now on I’ll come here to start topics about things I like in the SDMB. I’ll start right now. I like your posts. They make great filler. You don’t make or rebutt arguments, so no one has to waste time responding to you. Your insults aren’t insulting (You’re a jerk, Konrad), so no one feels bad. And there is no humour content in them so all in all it makes a nice spacing in between the relevants posts.

Wally: You seem like a complacent person with limited ideas for .sigs.

Well, fuck, my computer is doing weird shit today. Hope this doesn’t show up twice. Anyway . . .

Konrad, first you post a topic indicating that you feel someone is engaging in ‘Catholic bashing’ (which, BTW, occurs here - along with Mormon bashing, Jew bashing, atheist bashing - read all of the The Great God Debate threads, or pretty much anything posted by ARG220 during his heyday here).

Then, you engage in a little Catholic bashing yourself:

Your complaint about the sig line seems to be that it will cause feminists to be pissed off at the Catholic church - like many of them are not already? Do you think one little sig line on this board is going to start a feminist/Catholic church war? Do you think feminists the world over aren’t, in general, pretty familiar with the C. church and its attitude towards women? It has nothing to do with ‘political correctness’ - it has to do with allowing women to have the same rights and awarding them the same respect as other human beings. Its not about politics, you idiot, its about human rights!

What the hell kind of inane statment is that? I hope he does, since he’s the leader of the Catholic church! Just because prejudice and oppression are based on religious tradition doesn’t make them right, and doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be pointed out.

So, after several people post in favor of Wally’s sig, you then say that you weren’t insulted at all, you just thought it was dumb and mundane? Like you’re the ultimate judge of what’s ‘cool’ in the sig line department? If you had a legitimate complaint - for example, you’re Catholic and find the sig offensive - then fine, go for it. But just because you think the sig is dumb and boring is no reason to be trying to start a flame war in the BBQ Pit. Geez, I think YOU’RE dumb and boring, but haven’t wasted the time, energy, and bandwidth to start a thread about it in the BBQ Pit. I doubt it would change anything!

And why are you trying to copy E1Skeptics thread complaining about ‘filler’ posts? Can’t come up with any ideas of your own? Maybe you should leave the BBQ Pit every once in a while and read some of the other threads. Or should I send you a private message every time I make a post so you can review it and make sure it meets your criteria?

I take back what I said, Konrad - you’re not a jerk, you’re just stupid.

Sorry if you don’t feel sufficiently insulted, but stupidity IS the ultimate insult in my book, and I don’t use the term lightly.

The woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best. - Henry Van Dyke

My first response to the OP was “YAWN.” BFD, who cares, it’s just a signature. But I’m in a pissy mood today.

Konrad, what exactly was your problem with the sig? I’ve read your posts, and they seem specious at best, trollish and idiotic at worst.

It is true that the RCC allows women to be sainted but not ordained as priests. That’s amusing. Wally wasn’t “picking on” the Church, he was pointing out an inconsistency. It might be part and parcel of the tenets of the faith, but so fucking what? It’s still pretty goddamn ridiculous.

Get over yourself, pal.

-andros-

“Listen Children Eternal Father Eternally One!” Exceptions? None!
-Doc Bronner

BenDover said,

Whaaaat?

An amateur Canadian teenager with more pimples than beard in his face that most probably inherited an inborn disgust with anti-catholic remarks from his polish ancesters (note: the Pope IS polish), and “challenges” visitors to his webpage to “(s)end (their) poorly written blatherings” without even proofreading his own blatantly ignorant posts, copying ME? Ha!

Don’t piss me off, Ben.

Men will cease to commit atrocities only when they cease to believe absurdities.
-Voltaire

Sorry, E1, no slur intended in your direction at all. I guess its not very complimentary to be imitated by the feeble-minded.

The woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best. - Henry Van Dyke