Cecil cheats.

In the article entitled “Can a piece of paper be folded in half no more than seven times?”:
http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a910705.html

Cecil, with the help of Ms. Adams, tests that old challenge.
Unfortunately, instead of using paper (preferably an 8 1/2 x11 sheet), he uses metres of ultra-thin plastic.

Hardly the same thing.

When I tested the limits of that challenge as a child, I used single ply toilet paper, or seperated the sheets in paper towel, using a singly ply of that.
It was usually possible to fold at least 8 times.

Given that he changed the constraints of the problem (which essentially is to fold 128 sheets of paper stacked together in half), I don’t think that counts as a fair answer.

And he didn’t even mention that interesting quality of the challenge. Namely: locate a flexible material of a certain thickness which cannot be folded, then divide by factors of two until you find a deceptively thin thickness that you can use to demonstrate the power of exponentiation.

Funny, I just doubled over a piece of legal paper 8 times. Granted, that last fold isn’t exactly pretty, but it certainly accomplished the effort.

Yeah, DS, well, sure, legal paper – legal paper has abilities to bend, fold, distort, twist, and deceive that ordinary paper doesn’t have.

Especially if the legal paper has divorce-related precedings on it.