Cecil is wrong: There's no such place as San Vicente Mountain

Cecil got the location of the Nike missle site in the L.A. area wrong. I don’t know where it was located, but I know that there is no such place as San Vicente Mountain – in Van Nuys – or anywhere in Los Angeles County. In fact, Van Nuys is completely flat!

Perhaps, Cecil was thinking of the Santa Monica Mountains, which, while not near Van Nuys, do exist. They separate the “city” of Los Angeles from the San Fernando Valley, which is also a part of the City of Los Angeles. Van Nuys is in that valley.

Or, perhaps, Cecil was thinking of San Vicente Boulevard. We have two of them in Los Angeles, separated by about 15 miles. This confuses everybody, and may have contributed to Cecil’s horrendous error. Alas, while each San Vicente Boulevard is on an upward slope, neither can be called a mountain.

It seems to me that Cecil needs to get himself a Thomas Guide of L.A.

Here’s a link to the column being refered to.

Here’s a link refering to the Nike site at San Vicente Mountain. .

Quick Google reveals:

this Page

as well as a photo of the mountain here (PDF)

Its at the west end of Laurel Canyon. Its on the border of Van Nuys and Sherman Oaks. You know, the Santa Monica Mountains? Topanga State Park? Coldwater Canyon? Stone Canyon Reservoir? West Mulholland Drive? Does any of this sound familar? Hello?
I’m kind of amazed that your post can reek of vitriol and smug superiority all at once.

I can’t remember who’s sentiment it is, but, a bit of good advice: Always make your words soft and sweet; you never know when you might have to eat them.
Have a good rest of the day, ok?

Cecil got the location of the Nike missle site in the L.A. area wrong.
-apparently he didn’t

I don’t know where it was located
-obviously (poor argument from ignorance)

but I know that there is no such place as San Vicente Mountain
-use google

in Van Nuys
-technically true

or anywhere in Los Angeles County
-outrageously false

In fact, Van Nuys is completely flat!
-technically true

Perhaps, Cecil was thinking of the Santa Monica Mountains
-that’s where its at

which, while not near Van Nuys, do exist. They separate the “city” of Los Angeles from the San Fernando Valley, which is also a part of the City of Los Angeles. Van Nuys is in that valley.
-how can Van Nuys be in the San Fernando Valley, separated by the Santa Monica Mountains yet not be “near Van Nuys”.

Or, perhaps, Cecil was thinking of San Vicente Boulevard. We have two of them in Los Angeles, separated by about 15 miles. This confuses everybody, and may have contributed to Cecil’s horrendous error. Alas, while each San Vicente Boulevard is on an upward slope, neither can be called a mountain.
-wrong topic

It seems to me that Cecil needs to get himself a Thomas Guide of L.A.
[/QUOTE]

-it seems to me that you need more than a street map of Van Nuys

Perhaps this is the issue:
TECHNICALLY the mountain is in Encino. You’re either full of misinformation, or someone who can never come to terms that Encino and Van Nuys are geographically the same place. They are just one of the hundreds of LA’s fragmented communities.

BUT in the naming of and designation of the installation on San Vicente Mountain, Van Nuys is the nearest administrative center for Los Angeles, thus it gets the Van Nuys designation.

I may be a newbie, but I can do better than that.

Where’s this guys retraction, apology, response or whatever. I hate it when people “dumb and run”.

This is priceless. I’ve got to use this in one of my own posts now. Thanks. :slight_smile:

And great post overall.