Celebrities with REAL (Not Honorary) Doctorates

How many celebrities can you think of who have earned actual Ph. D’s from actual universities?

Academics who’ve become famous writers (Isaac Asimov, Richard Dawkins, et al.) aren’t really what I’m looking for. Rather, are there any famous musicians, actors, novelists and such who happen to have gone to graduate school and earned doctorates?

I know Bill Cosby got a Ph. D. in education, and Queen guitarist Brian May was in a doctoral program for astronomy (not sure whether he ever actually received the degree). Any others like that come to mind?

Mayim Bialik, from Blossom and Beaches, is working on her PhD thesis in neuroscience. But she isn’t a Dr yet.

No, he has an Ed.D, which is, IMHO, a lesser degree.

twicks, Ph.D.

A list of celebs with fake degrees

Pamela Stephenson has a doctorate in clinical psychology.

Lots of novelists have non-Ph.D. doctorates. Scott Turow (J.D.) and Michael Chrichton (M.D.), for example.

There are at least a couple of science fiction novelists with a Ph.D.: David Brin in physics and the late Jack Williamson in English.

Robert Vaughn earned a PhD at the University of Southern California.
William Sanderson has a JD from a university in (IIRC) Tennessee.

Gregory Benford is a well known phyicist here at UCI as well as a well known sci fi author.

-FrL-

Howard Cosell had a J.D.

Andrew Vachss has a J.D.

You also have non-SF Ph.D.-holder Kathy Reichs.

Brian May is currently finishing his PhD that he placed on hiatus when Queen went big.

Haing Ngor was an MD when he won an Oscar for Best Supporting Actor.

I believe Peter Weller is working on his Ph.D in history.

Peter Weller has a Masters and is working on a PhD in Roman and Renaissance art. He’s also a lecturer at Ithaca.

I think Terry Jones has a PhD in medieval literature, but I can’t find a cite for that. He has written at least two scholarly works on Chaucer and hosted several popular documentaries on medieval life.

Graham Chapman was an MD.

So where did Dr. Dre get his doctorate?

Probably the same school Doc Severinsen attended.

Alternate-universe maven Harry Turtledove has an earned doctorate in Byzantine history and was a teacher of same for several years.

And Doc Cheatham.

Fred Thompson has a JD, of course.