Celebrity Apprentice - Is this going to as bad as I think it is?

Okay, I don’t watch the show, but I flipped it on for a few minutes because of the dog angle. I saw bits of the finished commercials. The women’s commercial looked almost eaactly like the commercials Pedigree played during the 2006 Westminster (Different dogs behind cages with voiceover: “My name is Toby (or Sam or Dixie). And I’m a good dog. And I just want to go home.” Makes me tear up just thinking about them.) There wasn’t much original about them, and anyone who watches Animal Planet or dog shows would recognize it. The men’s was more original in that respect.

StG

He wants to take Omarosa into the boardroom? Obviously it doesn’t matter what the premise of the game is actually is – it’s wrong!

I know people will think Gene was retarded for what he did, boardroom-wise, but I see it like this… Gene doesn’t need The Apprentice. He’s already won money for his charity… He didn’t want to “play the game” the way that he was expected to play it. Also, he lost and was pretty peeved about that… Also, I don’t think he relished the prospect of working on another task w/ the ladies. I think he knew he’d be fired, and that’s exactly what he wanted.

He’d had his fun, proven he could be successful, and was done.

Yeah, it was a weird battle of the wills: I know you want me to stay in – because I give good drama – but I can force you to fire me.

And he did.

So, who will be the next man thrown to the women’s team? Not Baldwin or the British guy, we saw them butting heads too much not to be on the same team.

The thing I can’t figure out about Gene Simmons is at what level of self-awareness he’s operating on. "All I know is, if I were on the sidelines, I’d say, ‘Gene Simmons, you’re a powerful and attractive man.’ " I mean seriously, WTF.

This is a dark day at The Raj Ratings. I feel like I’ve lost my favorite perverted, overbearing, filthy uncle who is as likely to spread a disease as he is to spread a smile. But seriously, Gene was making this show great. Forget only being as strong as your weakest link, this show was forced to be as strong as it’s most watchable star due to his insanely high level of ego, self-belief, and narcisism. And, it was fantastic to watch. That said, I’ll soldier on, because I believe that while no one person can make up for our lost beacon of disgusting competence, there exists a plethora of weirdos, freaks, and crazy stars to entertain us going forward. Sigh, Gene, this ones for you.

The Raj Ratings
David – Who? Exactly.
Tiffany Fallon, Nadia Comaneci - Any Way You Slice It, these two are clearly not in the class of their new neighbor in this group.
Gene Simmons (KISS frontman) – Let’s revisit what I wrote last week in the wayback machine. “His greatest strengths (massive ego, self-reliance, gigantic tongue) will probably be his undoing.” Clearly, I thought that would happen in week 9 when his ego had gone from fun to watch to tiresome, so this was clearly too soon. Still, all he had to do was bring Nely back in and we’d still have Gene to watch next week. It is pretty clear that he works within his own confines which probably helped to shorten his shelf life here. Clearly, this was one of those Crazy Crazy Nights.

Sam – Candidates that are not hated, loved, competent, sane, or normal but provide the combo of unintential comedy, limited shelf life, and way below average results.
Carol Alt (Model) – I really have no idea what to think of her at this point. She’s a completely overlooked player on a team that has performed poorly. Does that make her the weakest of the lot, or smart enough to let the failures fail until she swoops in. Any Way You Slice It, she’s an enigma.
Vincent Pastore (Italian sterotype) – At this point, do you think he realizes he only acted as a mob guy and wasn’t really a mob guy. I can’t help but think back to George Costanza’s theory with lie detectors – “It’s not a lie, if you believe it.” When your time comes, I don’t think you’ll Rise To It. Total cannon fodder here.
Nely Galan (Some TV exec with Telemundo) - I don’t want to exist in a reality TV world where this hussy goes on while Gene takes the fall. Granted, I know that The Street Giveth & The Street Taketh Away, but this one really hurt. She clearly fits the mold of someone who knows what management is because of what the books and experts tell her, but has no specific style or ability of her own that actually works. Buzzwords and flavor of the month techniques do not a successful manager make.
Donald Trump – A special nod for the big man this week. How many other times has he made some random firing decision that defied logic and ignored the supposed rules? You couldn’t have done that just one more time? When he fired Gene, all I could say was No No No.

Omarosa – Villians and late round cannon fodder kept around solely for editors and the viewing public to mock.
Omarosa (Attention whore) – I can’t believe how very vaguely normal she was this episode. Normally an episode with her featured feels like it lasts 100,000 Years, but when she’s a minor player, she’s almost acceptable.

Katrina – Hot chicks, closet wackos, and middle of the road performers.
Jennie Finch (Gold medal winning softball pitcher) – Honestly, she’s no different so far than Carol Alt and probably worse based on experience levels, but I see her and know I’m suckered by the fact that she’s Hotter Than Hell.
Trace Adkins (Country singer) – I can’t see him succeeding as a leader of any of these people, because I think the first sign of craziness under him, and he’s likely to throw his hat in anger, start talking in his deep monotone, and put everyone to sleep. He works well with voiceovers and country music, but he doesn’t exactly give any of us Thrills In The Night.
Tito Ortiz (Ultimate Fighter) – Say hello to the least project managing Project Manager ever. His suit spoke more loudle than he did. I haven’t seen formal dress like that since a Talking Heads video or NBA draft night. I Just Wanna put a match to that thing.
Lennox Lewis (Boxing champ) – Down a slot, because at this point he’s verging on team mascot. If he doesn’t Rise To It, the odds are he’ll go away in 6th place without ever having said a useful word.

Troy – Likeable, maybe even loveable, but you just know they have a ceiling.
Marilu Henner (Actress) – She needed a quiet week and for someone else to look bad (Thanks Nely) to get herself back to a solid position. Both of those happened and I still think she’s a dark horse to win this thing. She’s another good episode away from being in a New York Groove and really rocketing up the charts.

Kwame – Good to great, but just can’t quite be considered the top dog. But, someone to be reckoned with.
Piers Morgan (Editor) – This is one of those people that gives me hope now that the Gene pool is a little shallower. He seems pretty spot on with his analysis, puts up with very little inanity, will clearly play dirty, and has a good head on his shoulders. He might be the hidden gem in this Psycho Circus.
Stephen Baldwin (2nd funniest Baldwin brother, although his is 99% driven by unintentional comdey) – Without Gene around, Don’t You Let Me Down. He now shifts into the most watchable slot on this show thanks to his slicked down, carnival barker persona. He’ll clearly do something dumb at some point (this is Stephen Baldwin the reality show contestant we’re talking about here,) but until then, I really will enjoy the ride.

Bill – A diamond in a field of drooling camera hogs. Someone who, whether the team wins or loses, has the look of a finalist and likely winner.
Sigh.

The Perdew/Rancic Corollary – Nely and Omarosa are done. I had Carol here, but now I’m not sure why. She may be secretly better than I thought. Eh, probably not, she’s done, also. The rest of the guys are still good, though Stephen might be in a little danger as his actions seem to become a little more mocked each week.

I just realized I used the word clearly 3 times alone in the Gene Simmons section.

Clearly, I need to come up with new phrasing.

That was exactly our take on it (mine and my husband’s). Simmons is kind of a buffoon in some ways, but he’s not stupid…he knew that he was forcing Trump’s hand. I figure he wanted out.

He’s out already?!? Well, yeah, I guess that was another option for Simmons. Just leave early, and if he essentially forced Trump’s hand, that would kind of preserve his “cool.” But I gotta imagine the ratings will take a dip now.

And made himself look like an egotistical idiot in the process. Not a good business move.

Egotistical idiot has been his shtick for years.

Schtick? Do you mean that he’s been doing this intentionally? If so… good gravy.

I can understand playing up one’s ego, though it’s still not a good business strategy. But deliberately using a strategy that makes one look like a moron?

The quote above is, in fact, a direct quote.

Could someone find a good summary of his contretemps with Terry Gross a few years ago? I’m at work right now…

Gene Simmons’s business is being Gene Simmons. He dilutes his brand power if he reduces himself to playing games like some 25 year old MBA who really really wants to work for Mr Trump. It was hilarious, I thought, to see Trump desperately try to find a way to fire someone else without looking like he was being weak himself, and not being able to do it. Also hilarious was that business writer, or whatever he is, who was playing George. His world view was totally shattered by seeing someone who wasn’t interested in sucking up to a billionaire.

Does it strike anyone else that this show seems very, well, scripted?
I’m guessing before they even started filming they negotiated with these “B” celebrities on how many shows they agreed to be on. Gene Simmons agreeing to do only 3 episodes, Nadia’s agent signing her on for 2 appearances, etc.
From there they kind of craft the show around it and make it up on the fly.
I’m even dubious that the coffee/laptop spill was real.
All in good fun and entertaining enough, and nice that they are helping various charities, and the various sponsors (Kodak) get their face time and product placement, but at the same time very fake and staged for a so called “reality” show.

Transcript.

Eh, like Twickster said, that’s his thing. I don’t think it will hurt him in business, because he isn’t a “businessman” in the sense that you or I would think of it. He probably works mainly in showbusiness, and there are a lot of egotistical weirdos in that industry, I’m sure. Who knows if that’s even close to his “real” personality…it’s more like a persona he has developed.

Pretty much the only way this show could further stick a knife in the back of The Raj Ratings would be to bring John Wooden on the show as a replacement candidate then fire him. Sheesh. First I lose Gene, Gene, the lecherous machine. Now I lose out on Jennie Finch. Whatta world. What do I like about this show? Any show that can give me a random pairing of Vince McMahon and David Hyde Pierce is A-OK in my book. What don’t I like? It’s pretty much coming down to who do you know as opposed to what can you do. I can call 18 rich friends for their money. Sure, sell some 50$ tickets on the street, but the win is determined by who can catch the biggest fame fish. And, the women went from one extreme (not using fame much) to the other (living and dying by Nely’s book.) Not excellent.

The Raj Ratings
David – Who? Exactly.
Tiffany Fallon, Nadia Comaneci, Gene Simmons - Somehow, I think we’ll be seeing Mr. Simmons again.
Jennie Finch (Gold medal winning softball pitcher) – This was obviously going to happen at some point. Others clearly had more business experience and of those that might not, Jennie is about the only one who is used to competing in a “the team gets the glory, not the individual” setting. And, that was pretty much going to be her demise.

Sam – Candidates that are not hated, loved, competent, sane, or normal but provide the combo of unintential comedy, limited shelf life, and way below average results.
Carol Alt (Model) – She can’t move up until she does something. Being brought in twice in a row as a weak link is not a good thing.
Vincent Pastore (Italian sterotype) – A good win, although it seemed a lot more driven by his lieutenants. If asked to fill out a resume, I am positive he wouldn’t have “Actor - The Sopranos”. He would instead list his time as actually in the mob. I am slightly worried about is sanity.
Nely Galan (Some TV exec with Telemundo) - I’m just so not impressed. She’s actually more vocally grating than Omarosa at this point.
Trace Adkins (Country singer) – Yeah, a downgrade for no other reason than I think he’s the male Carol Alt. Does the little things, hasn’t shown much else. Although a show built around the concept of Trace Adkins - International Linguist could be entertaining.

Omarosa – Villians and late round cannon fodder kept around solely for editors and the viewing public to mock.
Omarosa (Attention whore) – If the women were smart, they’d better understand that this show is built around who you know and who you can bring out. And Omarosa is the absolute worst person to have on your team. She can’t bring out anyone famous or rich. Heck, if she called my cell phone, I’d have it programmed to show “Don’t answer this, crazy wacko calling.”

Katrina – Hot chicks, closet wackos, and middle of the road performers.
Tito Ortiz (Ultimate Fighter) – Eh.
Lennox Lewis (Boxing champ) – Double Eh.

Troy – Likeable, maybe even loveable, but you just know they have a ceiling.
Marilu Henner (Actress) – Clearly the best female on the show. If she’s not the last one standing of her gender, I will lose all faith in my belief that this show is about finding the best, not rewarding the weirdest. Oh wait, I lost that before the first episode of the first season.

Kwame – Good to great, but just can’t quite be considered the top dog. But, someone to be reckoned with.
Piers Morgan (Editor) – I still don’t know why he’s famous, but along with Baldwin, I really want to move them up to the next level. They are clearly the two most responsible for driving wins whether through contacts or in task activities.
Stephen Baldwin (2nd funniest Baldwin brother, although his is 99% driven by unintentional comdey) – See Piers. It’s somewhat astonishing that this guy can stand out as a super performer in any group outside of a monkey house.

Bill – A diamond in a field of drooling camera hogs. Someone who, whether the team wins or loses, has the look of a finalist and likely winner.
Vince McMahon - Simply for being the most unexpected viceroy ever. We are one step away from Hank Scorpio showing up in that chair.

The Perdew/Rancic Corollary – Nely, Omarosa, Carol. Either too many weeks of poor showing or obvious negatives. No guys quite yet, but winning hides a lot of warts.

My favorite moment last night: When Nely said “I had no idea Gene admired me that much – I was touched that he would fall on his sword to save me …” :eek: :rolleyes: :smiley:

Heh, heh. My wife and I were going “He doesn’t give a damn about you, sweetie, but if you chose to express your gratitude, he’d probably accept it.”