Census Bureau report: Average Americans better off under Clinton, worse off under W

From The Atlantic Monthly:

I guess the issue for debate is: What, if anything, does this show or signify? As the article goes on to say:

The Census Bureau is composed entirely of Communists and Muslims, so any data they generate is by definition wrong.

:smiley:

So theoretically, if I wished to be employed at the Census Bureau would I have to be both a Communist and a Muslim, or would one or the other be OK?

Only if you apply to the Census Bureau’s Department of the Bleeding Obvious.

Are we surprised by this? At all? I have posted the below here in the past. The book Unequal Democracy shows that since WWII the country does notably better under Democratic presidents than Republican ones. Written by an economist he even tried to account for lag between changes of presidents. The effect is still there and stark.

What is notable, for all the Republican whining on tax-and-spend liberals stealing their hard earned money is the rich people did better under the Democrats too. The Dems took more but the country was better off overall which benefited rich folk as well as poor.

Are we surprised by this? At all? I have posted the below here in the past. The book Unequal Democracy shows that since WWII the country does notably better under Democratic presidents than Republican ones. Written by an economist (a self described apolitical one at that) he even tried to account for lag between changes of presidents. The effect is still there and stark.

What is notable, for all the Republican whining on tax-and-spend liberals stealing their hard earned money is the rich people did better under the Democrats too. The Dems took more but the country was better off overall which benefited rich folk as well as poor.

This is great news for the Kerry campaign!

I blame ACORN.

What role does Congress play in this?

The thing that really shocks me isn’t that the median American family actually lost ground under The Worst President Ever; that’s no surprise at all, at this point.

What I find far more disturbing is that the gains in median household income from 1973 to 2008 are so small (from $45,533 to $50,303, a gain of $4770), despite our country’s being much richer than it was in 1973, that the aftermath of this recession could wipe out those gains almost entirely.

Here’s where it all went:

mission accomplished!

I have not read the book that Whack-a-Mole describes and perhaps it’s a bit silly for me to argue against an economist but I’m not sure how much I subscribe to the conclusion. I would think some of the difference between the Clinton and Bush years would be the bursting of the dot-com bubble and the economic hit from the 9/11 attack. I’m not a Bush apologist but I don’t think either of those could be attributed to Bush.

Perhaps not. But it was Bush’s decision (backed up by a compliant Congress) to cut taxes at the start of a war. How many national leaders of modern times have done that?!

Who do you think will win when we compare things between the Clinton years and the Obama years? How about Bush vs Obama? Be interesting to see how it pans out…

-XT

Considering the crap-tacular economy that Obama inherited, I’d be surprised if he didn’t end up looking pretty good by the end of 4 (8) years.

I hate these bits of Presidential comparison that make no effort to analyze level of control / complacency / cooperation with those in control of the House and the Senate.

Yeah…right up there with drive-by posts that cast an assertion with nothing to back it up.

Bartels’ book has been well received as a scholarly effort with plenty of research and data to back up its conclusions. Some argue that despite his excellent work there still is not enough data to draw firm conclusions. Nevertheless the data, at the very least, provides some very compelling and strong evidence for the disparity between the economic outcomes of our two major political parties when they are in office.

But I don’t think that will hurt the economy for years and can’t have made much impact on any economic numbers used in the book.

I believe that the economy and political workings are too complex to blame one administration for any measurable highs and lows.

You just backed me up. Bartel (per your post) looks at who is President, without taking into account who holds control of the House and the Senate.

I don’t doubt that he has great data - but I will say again that only looking at who controls the Presidency is missing too much of the equation in our Republic.