Ceremony Honours War of 1812 PoWs Who Died in Nova Scotia

Definitely not mundane or pointless:

Ceremony Honours War of 1812 PoWs Who Died in Nova Scotia

Resquiet in pacem. And I’m glad that our nations are now neighbours and friends, rather than enemies.

P.S. - the article refers to the USS Constitution as a replica - I thought it was the original, still under commission?

It appears that you were right. It seems to be the original, although I would imagine that pretty much the whole thing has been replaced at one time or another.

http://www.ussconstitution.navy.mil/historyupdat.htm

Thanks, Piper. And thank you, Canada. That was a nice gesture.
My daughter recently wrote a paper on the War of 1812, of which few of her classmates had even heard. Her emphasis was in the (then) Northwest so she got Hull’s invasion but I told her that as a general introduction to the war it lacked many of the biggies: the siege of Ft McHenry and the writing of the “Star Spangled Banner,” the burning of the White House, and the Battle of New Orleans (and Wellington’s snarky comments about his brother in law, Pakenham). “Worse yet,” I said, “You left out the Battle of Lake Champlain, in which the American squadron was led by an ancestor of yours, Commodore Thomas Macdonough, or the Treaty of Ghent, hammered out by another ancestor, John Quincy Adams. That resulted in nearly two hundred years of peace between the Britain and America and the world’s longest undefended border between the US and Canada.”

“Why didn’t you mention any of this before?” she whined.

“Because I thought you knew how to research and weren’t going to settle for the only book in the school library with ‘1812’ in the title.”

She got an A, anyway, and I still wish the invasion had succeeded but if there was any country I had to be stuck living next door to I’d pick Canada. And Monaco because Canada’s beaches suck.