Champaign, IL

Ruken, that's what I just TRIED to say, but boogered up the coding. I was trying to cut and paste to an earlier comment in the thread. My apologies for my clumsiness and the resultant ambiguity. (And also the weird blue frownie face -- not intentional).

When I was at U of I ('88-'92, Go Illini!), downtown Champaign was a wreck. One of my buddies that lives in Springfield tells me it’s much better now.

Jjimm, if you’re meteorologically fortunate, you may get to witness the beauty and general chaos of an honest-to-goodness Ice Storm. I remember waking up one “morning” to see all of the trees and sidewalks (and cars, and parks, and unfortunate people) coated in about an inch of clear, sparkly ice. You English have the cool creaky castle doors, but there’s nothing for “ominous” like walking under a huge oak tree that’s creaking with the weight of the ice.

So, if it’s not secretive, what are you going to be doing? Engineering related? Ag-related?

Just wanted to chime in. Mendenhall for President!

-Cem

You know what they need to do? Block off vehicle traffic and turn it into a pedestrian mall. That’s the ticket!

Charogne–that’s nice of you! I’m in GSLIS, the online (LEEP) portion. I HATE using my car in C-U, so I really only go between the hotel, GSLIS, the Union and Green St. I don’t doubt there are nice places, but time is so limited when I’m down there. I will try to remember to PM you before the next oncampus week (in Feb or March).

What bothers me more about C-U is no good book store near campus, no art stores, no funky second hand book/art stores. Where do the undergrads now get their wall posters? Or is that passe now?

For the OP-the REAL problem with central IL weather is its unpredictability. One day it can be 40 out and pleasant, but it can be below zero by nightfall. Wet, windy, dry and bitter cold–it’s all very possible and likely. Ice storms are cool (well, not to drive in), as are blizzards…

Sadly, wall posters are passe among the undergrads, like used books, CD’s, retro furniture/clothes/knickknacks, and non-chain food and coffee. Fortunately, UIUC also supports a healthy population of grad students, faculty and staff. So downtown Champaign and Urbana supply these needs and wants. You just need to know where to look. It’s a pleasant way to kill a couple of hours.

When I went back to Chambana this summer to see how things had changed, I think what shocked me most was that Acres Of Books was no longer there. (Neither were some of the other campustown spots I remember fondly.)

There’s a decent used book store not far from campus town. It’s on Neil, Jane Addams bookstore. The union has poster sales that aren’t uncommon. There was a poster shop on Green not too long ago, I don’t recall what’s there now.