I want to thank everyone who responded to my post, I really appreciate the input and feedback.
[QUOTE=twickster]
What would you change your major to?
[/QUOTE]
I’m not sure. I’m doing a minor in cartography/GIS (it fits well with the geology major) and something in that area might be more suitable - and no physics involved.
[QUOTE=Nava]
How bad a tragedy would it be if you got a C? How much would it affect your career chances?
[/QUOTE]
I wouldn’t be happy with a C, but I’d live (as a friend of mine says, “D’s get degrees”). I’m sure it wouldn’t have that big of an effect on my career choice, but I haven’t decided exactly what I want to do yet. I’m aiming for grad school, where grades will matter.
[QUOTE=Anne Neville]
Talk to your advisor. That’s what they’re there for.
If you can, try not to get the same professor for your next semester of physics. Having the right professor for a class can make more of a difference than most people think.
[/QUOTE]
I have talked to my advisor, a bit. He told me that by just keeping my head above water in physics (which I am doing, but I have no confidence in myself keeping that up for 2 more exams) I’m doing better than many of his advisees. I have personally talked to 3 people in my major who took physics more than once before they graduated. I try and not compare myself to others, but that doesn’t make me feel so bad, knowing I’m not the only one who has problems with physics.
I don’t think the prof is the problem (he is very good, probably the best or close to it at my school, and he teaches well - but he does expect a lot), but I am planning on taking a different prof next semester due to a) the original professor’s section interferes with another class I need to take, and b) maybe I should have said this in the original post, but I am taking the calculus-based physics class that all the physics majors are in, not the easier (algebra-based) class. Most of these people are physics majors because they like it. Many of them have had some physics in high school. I’m 41 years old and this is my first physics class. Looking back it was stupid to take this class (I should have taken the class other science/earth science majors take), but I thought this class would look better on grad school apps.
[QUOTE=lazybratsche]
Don’t transfer because of a major’s co-requisites. Every major has a requirement that someone hates – how many med students enjoy and succeed in organic chemistry? Sure, the intro physics sucks for you, and things will probably be the same for the second semester. But I’d also guess that the geophysics will work out much better for you, since it directly connects to the topic you’re interested in.
My advice to you? Don’t change majors because of a single crappy requirement, and definitely don’t change without a very good idea of what else you’d want to do.
[/QUOTE]
Thanks for coming out of lurkdom, and for the advice.
[QUOTE=tremorviolet]
Can you drop the class and not have it affect your funding? This is gonna sound strange but, for a couple of classes I had trouble with, it really helped me to drop them late in the semester and then retake them. I found that having some familiarity with the material made it so much easier for me to really grasp the concepts the second time around. The classes I took over ultimately wound up being ones I really came to understand, rather than just muddling through with decent grades but a hazy grasp on.
[/QUOTE]
I’d rather not do that. I did that for one of my chemistry semesters and ended up getting a decent grade, but not that much better than what I would have gotten had I stuck it out the first time - and I had to sit though that awful stuff twice!
[QUOTE=Anne Neville]
I realized I was advocating mental cruelty in my post. You should not say “organic chemistry” to pre-meds or biology majors, because the memory of the class (or the fear of it, for those who haven’t taken it yet) would probably traumatize them.
On the subject of pre-meds, are you in the same physics class that they take? I know that the general physics class taken by pre-meds (which wasn’t the one taken by engineering or physics majors) did serve as a weed-out class for them. I agree with Eureka that weed-out classes are evil.
And on the subject of picking the right professor, bear in mind that a professor can be nice, willing to give you help outside of class, and all that, but still not be very good at teaching the subject. Or his/her teaching style and your learning style just might not work well together. It could even be something as simple as the class being at 8am and you not being a morning person, or the class being at 4pm and you’re dragging by then, or the class is a two-hour class without a break and you just can’t stay focussed for that long, or the professor doesn’t believe in partial credit and you’re not very good at arithmetic.
Another thing you might want to check is whether or not there’s a curve in the class. Forgetting the curve is something that people who have gotten A’s in classes up until this class sometimes do- they’ve done well without a curve, and expect to do so in their classes. There’s something that a physics professor of mine came up with- Anlage’s (pronounced on-log-uh) Theorem- the average on the first test of the semester is 60%, ± 5%. It really did work remarkably well to predict the first test in physics major and non-major classes.
Something else you might want to consider if your stress over this class is really messing up your life- your college almost certainly offers counseling services through student health services. I used to stress a lot over exams, among other things, and it turned out that I have Generalized Anxiety Disorder, which I now take medication for (and it helps). Even if you don’t have an anxiety disorder like I do, the counselors might be able to teach you some coping strategies to deal with the stress this class is causing in your life. I didn’t get treatment for anxiety until quite a while after I graduated from college, and I really wish I’d done it earlier- I suffered for many years without needing to.
[/QUOTE]
Most of the other students in this class are physics/engineering majors. The class is at 11:15 am- just perfect. There is no curve, and 95% is the A cutoff. A- is 90%. There is a large window for B’s (down to 76%, I think) and I’ve managed to stay within that, so far. But the material covered is not getting any easier.
I have seen a school counselor - this same thing happened to me with chemistry. I know I’m panicking and I don’t want to do something impulsive, like change majors. Now I’m glad I started this thread. Many things in here have made me feel better, thanks.
[QUOTE=treis]
There are not very many majors where you can completely avoid physics. If you like the geology courses, stick with geology as a major.
Don’t worry too much about it affecting your GPA either. If worse comes to worse, just list your Major GPA on your resume.
[/QUOTE]
Non-science majors do
Sometimes I wonder if picking a science major wasn’t a big mistake, honestly. Math has never been my strong point, but once I got to college I did fine in it. I’m slow at it, but I got A’s.