Changing menu prices

If an advertised price is not the charged price, that’s fraud, pure and simple. Screw the computer. Let the manager take it out of his own pocket if need be, or walk. Surely there are honest places where you can eat.

If you were talking to a waitress that’s young and/or doesn’t really care, “meh” is about the best answer you’re going to get since as far as she’s concerned, this is the price the manager told her to tell people. WHY he told her, she doesn’t really care, she just doesn’t want to get in trouble for not telling people. You may have gotten a straight answer (real or at least real sounding) if you had asked for a manger. But the question is, do you want do go through all that for something that you can’t change?

Sure he can change it, by not ordering it.

And you’re neither old nor crotchety; that’s a 30 percent increase. Ask your daughter if she cares if her <shoes, purse, dress, whatever she cares about> is 30 percent over the quoted amount. It is, in my opinion, stupid to be taken advantage of like that.

‘30 percent off sale!’

‘Just kidding, haha!’

why u mad, bro?

Yeah, and not caring means she’s a shitty waitress. For someone dependent on tips and with a walk-in job in this economy, she’s in a horrible position to not care about a customer’s complaint. Why the hell should I allow for her incompetence?

And I don’t think I’ve ever been in a situation where I had to call in a manager and the manager didn’t do something. Even if I still get the higher price, I still get to rat out a bad employee who demonstrates they don’t give a shit about their job. I’ve seen waitresses fired for having to have the manager come settle something, and that would be fine with me.

This same thing happened to me at Family Dollar the other day. We have one just around the corner so I dashed in for I figured would be overpriced margarine, but they took it a step further with a two pack of Land O’Lakes for 2.50. I know this is about double what I usually pay but I was in a hurry. The cashier rang it up and totaled the sale before I had a chance to see that they’d charged me $4.16. I complained and was told that the sign didn’t matter. The accurate price would be scanned. I said no way was a two pack of butter that expensive. He looked at me and laughed. Told me I was paying for convenience. I told him he didn’t work in a convenience store, he worked at a discount dollar store. I expected to pay more, but telling me I’m wrong about the price and that he couldn’t give me a refund on something that wasn’t spoiled or out of date. I threw a holy-hell fit. Got my money back but now I’ll feel weird about going back.

I just wonder how many of these places are so cheap they work the scanners like that to get a bigger profit. I probably wouldn’t have even noticed the overcharge if I’d bought several items.

This is straight up illegal over here, and it ought to be illegal over there too. The lower price is always the price you pay. It doesn’t matter what the store intended to charge or who made a typo or if some lax employee had failed to take down the sale price tags after the sale had ended, the customer always gets the product for the cheaper of the two prices if the scanner and the signage disagree.

I once got a computer game for about quarter of the advertised price because they’d failed to clean all the price tags off one of their clear plastic security display boxes, and there was an intact sticker still marked with the low price of whatever they’d displayed in the box previously. When I left, they were carefully inspecting the other boxes on the shelves.

A shop near me deliberately overcharges if they think you’re drunk- it really really annoys me. I’ve been in there a few times when it’s been really late, I’m on my way home from somewhere, and I remember I need something for tomorrow, and every time they’ve tried to charge more than the price on the item.

They did, however, charge me the correct price when I complained, but I don’t go to the shop any more. It’s very annoying, as that shop is literally 3 doors from my house, and the next nearest one is a few minutes walk away, halfway up a steep hill.

It’s illegal to charge more than the listed price, it doesn’t matter what their reason is, at least over here.

They have made an offer and you have accepted. That’s a binding contract, AFAIK. I’d have walked out of the Burger King, telling them what they could do with the Whoppers (as in lies). The second one is more delicate. I wouldn’t have tipped and told her why. But you don’t want to lose face in front of your kids. But it would make me seethe.

Ooo…That would have pissed me off. I’d probably just order the item to have a documented receipt, take a cell phone picture of the menu, and go from there complaining to corporate. That just ain’t cool, and a manager telling me “it didn’t matter if I complained or not” would rile up the competitive side of me.

I imagine that a complaint about this sort of thing wouldn’t come right back to the manager. A complaint about the service or cleanliness, yes. And he might get notified about a complaint about a price change, but I bet it would be in the form of a message to make sure it doesn’t happen again.

I wonder if one of those consumer advocates would be interested in checking this out? I imagine that HQ would take notice of THAT.