Charles Spurgeon on Politics?

Charles Spurgeon was a Reformed Baptist clergyman in XIXth Century in Britain.

Charles Spurgeon’s views on politics seems to have been conflicting to say the least. In 1861 he said the following (http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/2010/05/12/citizenship-in-heaven)

Basically he said that since a Christian owes his first allegiance to Heaven and thus is a citizen of it, that while voting is a matter of individual conscience he personally disliked it and disapproved of it.

However there are some humourous anecdotes regarding Charles Spurgeon as a Whig: http://www.spurgeon.org/misc/abio081.htm

So is the answer that his views on politics simply changed or was it that he held both viewpoints?

What is your question? (Obviously, I read your last line – but define the two viewpoints you see contrasted here. I have a hunch it’s varying vocabulary that may be confusing you.)

Well in the first one Mr. Spurgeon basically said “I personally dislike politics and thus don’t vote” but in the second he’s shown to be a firm Whig and thus implied to vote (unless he didn’t meet the property qualifications) or something? After all he didn’t just say “I like the Liberals over the Tories”.

Bumped bumped/

I don’t see them all that much in conflict.

I took the first section not to mean that he didn’t vote, but that he didn’t do the whole political thing. When I think of someone as “political,” I think of them sticking signs in their yards, trying to sway their neighbors to their side, attending rally, getting upset when others disagree with them, etc. Note he uses words like “strife” and “riot of the pollbooth.” These are the types of actions that could cause divisions among congregations.
I don’t see any evidence of those in the second section. Any references to him taking a side seem either very mild or almost used in jest.

I’m not usually a grammar cop, but you seem to value literary precision and correctness so…

You don’t use English ordinal endings ("-th") with Roman numerals. Just write the Roman numeral.
You don’t write “Henry VIIIth” or “King James IIIrd,” after all.

Thanks.