Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

You too, huh? :slight_smile:

I don’t like the Small World ride, either, but I think the dolls melting were done on purpose to discomfit the attendees of Wonka’s tour. It worked.

I liked this story much better. In the book, Charlie does not have to prove himself–his goodness is rewarded as goodness should be. IMO, it really is that simple and it works. It should be unmitigated schmaltz but Charlie is fully fleshed out–he is no Brady child. I like the music in the new better, too. But the Oompa-Loompa looks too old for my taste. (not sure just what an O-L is supposed to look like, but I pictured them younger. Certainly the O-L’s in the first movie were an excrescence).

My girlfriend and I loved everything about it. We even stuck it out through all of the credits hoping for one last tasty little tid-bit, but all we got was a parting oompa chortle for our trouble.

Since seeing the film, I’ve been battling two ear-worms: The “Willy Wonka! Willy Wonka!” bit from the burning dolls, and the trippy-hippy Veruca Salt number.

Depp was fabulous, as always. I’m with well he’s back in my desire to see him work much more often. My personal favorite was his cannibalism line. Little Freddie is just the cutest damn kid. I really liked them together in Finding Neverland too.

I didn’t have too many expectations other than being curious as to where Depp would go with the character, and I must say that I was very pleasantly surprised.

One tiny little thing that bugged me was the way they handled the Mike Teavee character. I found myself liking him too much, and felt his malicious facets were exposed in a choppy and contrived fashion. I found myself thinking that he’d grow up alright, once his emotions caught up with his intelligence. Maybe it’s just the little geeky gaming hacker in me…

Anyone not get the point of showing the parade of the loser children leaving the factory?
It was inconsistent.

Violet seemed to be fine with her blue bouyant state it was her mom that had some problem with it. Neither seemed to learn anything from the experience.

Mike Teevee was a stretched out monster and his dad didn’t seem a bit phased with it, which fit his character as the shrugging dad.

Veruca was given what-for by her dad… okay… so he learned something even though she didn’t.

Augustus just wants to eat himself… and his mom protested a little bit… but I guess that was to maybe show that she will try to limit his eating.
After that bit all ended I just thought “Tht was pointless. I’d rather have not seen them at all.”

Mostly I enjoyed it, but a couple of things annoyed me -

The Oompah Lumpa seemed like he couldn’t be bothered doing anything and just went through the motions, the songs were a bit dull.

The British people saying candy for sweets and pants for trousers, very distracting.

When Charlie gets the ticket, the people in the candy store offer him money for it - in dollars.

I wonder if they filmed some scenes twice, once for the British release, and once for the American…

I loved the movie, though. Depp’s Wonka had me laughing my head off regularly, and I loved the updated Oompa Loompa songs.

I’ve not seen the film yet but seen clips of Jonny Depp as Wonka and he looks stupid. Sorry but that is NOT what Wonka should look like.

Also, I despise Tim Burton, I think he’s a rubbish director and over-does things.

I remember watching it and that particular detail jarring the hell out of me. Wondered if it had been filmed twice (or more) as well.

– Wilder movie plusses –

Better songs.
More magical.
No childhood flashbacks.
Shorter ending.

– Depp movie plusses –

Better kids.
Better oompa-loompas.
Better chocolate river.
More faithful to book.
Fewer decapitated chickens.

Whaa?

You really think that huge, elaborately choreographed production numbers featuring songs that faithfully adapt Roald Dahl’s brilliant lyrics, set to original music in a variety of retro-genres…

…was less satisfying than monosyllabic doggerel set to the same plodding tune, with embarassingl dwarven dancing and cheesy text overlays?

You liked…

…better than…

or

?

Different strokes, I guess.

Personally, I can fully understand why Roald Dahl was disgusted with the songs in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, and I think he likely would have approved of the treatment they got in Tim Burton’s film.

And don’t get me started on “Cheer up, Charlie,” or the other non-Oompa-Loompa songs in Willy Wonka. Ugh. :smiley:

Ours is a weird giggle, followed by: “You’re really weird.”

And Depp doesn’t look like Michael Jackson. He looks like Amelie

Assuredly. The oompa loompa songs in the new one are boring, unintelligble, and serve no purpose. If you are going to have one dude play all the oompas and have elaborate musical numbers … please make sure that one oompa can dance… just a little bit.

I am sick of Danny Elfman’s scores. They all sound the same. It was cool up until about… the second Batman movie?
The oompa songs in the original although simple were catchy and unsettling. Which fits the tone of the movie.

As for the other songs in that one. “Cheer Up Charlie” is for crap. But come on “Pure Imagination” and “Candyman” how can you NOT like those songs.

Simple. Have Sammy sing them. :wink: Thankfully, Margulies & Wolper had the good sense not to give him a part.

I liked the original better save for two things:

The blonde mom was awesome, perfect for the part.

The part that shows Charlies room in the attic, then pans out to show a gigantic hole in the roof.

I’ll give you “unintelligible,” because, (while I had no trouble at all discerning the lyrics,) I’ve heard that complaint quite a bit from folks online. Nobody I saw it with had any trouble, either, though – so I suspect that it might be a problem with some theatres’ sound systems, or the mix on some prints. Likely, this will not be a problem with the DVD transfer.

As for the dancing, I find it hard to fault Deep Roy’s performance. The choreography drew from some many disciplines, from Esther Williams movies, to freestyle, funk, and hip-hop, classic Fred Astaire, to Bollywood – all over the place. It was managed competently and (more importantly) entertainingly. A large part of what made it work so well for me was that Deep Roy managed to keep his Buster Keaton face on the whole time. Dissonant and hilarious.

In Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, those little orange guys’ numbers terpsichoreal efforts were based on… …the infantile game of “peek-a-boo.” It’s been more years than I care to remember since that sort of thing has really held my attention.

Seriously. The songs are boring?

Roald Dahl’s Oompa Loompas sang this of Veruca Salt:

These lines were “improved” in the '70s adaptation to:

All of Dahl’s wickedly-funny, technically perfect, and varied efforts were tossed out in favour of bland lyrics set in the same dull metre. “Blah blah blah BLAH blah blah blah blah blah BLAH.” Roald Dahl’s lyrics are better, and I’m really glad that they’re in the new movie. They kick ass. Especially the description of all the stinky stuff she was becoming acquainted with. (Even better than Shell Silverstein’s Sarah Cynthia Sylvia Stout, that other cautionary children’s verse involving fermenting garbage, published the same year.)

Have you seen Willy Wonka recently? I still watch it from time to time (riding the FF button through most of the songs. (Sacharrine has no place in a chocolate factory.) I watched it with my nephew the day before taking him to see Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. It has plenty going for it. (Mainly Gene Wilder, natch.) The music, though? Fly-in-ointment.

Anyway…

I think it’s natural for folks to compare Willy Wonkas, since they are both completely different from each other, and from the Wonka in the book. I think they’re both brilliant performances.

I would like to see yet another version made, with a more “authentic” Willy Wonka. (It probably wouldn’t fly with very young children, since crazy old guys are more viscerally frightening to them than crazy people with more attractive features. Screw 'em, I say. Let 'em pee in their seats.) To me, Dahl’s Wonka should be played by someone like Wilfred Bramble or William Hartnell, only more spry and less dead.

The Wonka in my head is Willem Dafoe. Scary!

Excellent movie, far better than WWatCF. Really, Wilder is the ONLY good bit of WWatCF

They burn a Small World!??? :eek: :smiley:

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS WAHAHAHAHAHHHH!!!

Damn, but I hate that song.

We had dollars too, which was a bit distracting for me. I don’t know why they couldn’t film 2 different versions like (I believe) they did with the Harry Potter films.

I just watched the original the other day. I think it is far and away the superior film.

Charlie is better in the original. He actually does…things. All the new Charlie did was wander around looking doe eyed and being generally useless. This kid is going to run a candy factory?

Wilder Wonka was much better than Depp. Depp was creepy, but you knew that Wilder would mess you up if you stepped out of line. A good example was in the waterfall room. Yes. Wilder is singing a song, but every time someone tries to step past him the cane whips out and strikes the rail with a savage whack. Just watch the boatride down the river fudge. You were also left knowing that if something did happen to you, he didn’t care a bit.

New Mike Teevee was poorly done. In the beginning, he was this terribly violent child. By the end, he was simply a know it all.

O.G. (Original Grandpa) was better in that he also did…things. He was even funny. The new grandpa was as much of a lump standing up as he was on the bed.

The only character that was better new than classic was Violet and her mother. I liked the way here character was done. It was simply a deeper character than a little girl that chews gun.

As for the songs, too many visual gags. Takes the creep factor out of it. The scenes were funnier, but just not as effective.

Overall, the new version is shinier and has new effects and all of the bells and whistles and that’s it. If they had spent half of the time spent cloning the oompa loompas on the other characters, the film would’ve been better.

Depp: Creepy Jackson. I’m still unsure if this shows a massive amount of talent from Depp, or that Michael Jackson is just inherently creepy.

Music: Lame, dull, lame, bland, lame. It’s amazing they couldn’t find anyone that could produce better out of such good raw material. The Oompa singing is rubbish too.

Oompa: Almost as creepy as Depp. The whole multi-cloning thing was a really bad idea; I got fed up with seeing his ugly pug face everywhere. And half his dialogue was unintelligible.

Kids: What did they do to their faces?? Either bucketfuls of make-up were used or lots ‘n’ lots of computer graphics. In close-ups the German kid looked like his face was made of polythene and the two girls appeared to have eyes double their normal size.

But other than that; good film with good performances.